Author Topic: Old famous newspapers  (Read 2485 times)

sam.throssell

• View Profile
Old famous newspapers
« on: November 27, 2011, 03:13:01 pm »
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased some old newspapers from an auction.

One paper is by the new york post reporting on the day of martin luther kings funeral in 1968 April 9th... It is in OK condition

The other paper is from 1969 January 20th the Nixon inauguration

The other one is august 8th 1974 on Nixons resignation

The last one is august 9th 1974 when ford takes over the presidency.

I bought these in a box with lots of stuff on top of them and i guess the auction guys did not see these at the bottom and i picked them up for a couple of dollars.

They are all in decent condition but not the best

How rare are these? do you see alot of them around? and what are they worth

Thanks guys!

sam.throssell

• View Profile
Re: Old famous newspapers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:20:04 pm »
I know there are no photos here, just a general idea of what they are worth and if they are rare is all the info i need :)

Thanks!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 04:17:01 pm »
I've always been disappointed in the value of 20th century newspapers, regardless of the front page content.
In my opinion, too many printed, and too many saved, and not enough buyers to justify a premium over a few dollars per copy.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:39:46 pm »
Rauville is correct !! To me,, they are worth keeping but to others,, a few bucks only !! 

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 05:51:39 pm »
Agree with others...  Probably worth more donating to a library and getting a receipt to write off your taxes.  Even the old ones aren't worth much.

This one (NYT) sold for .99 cents: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-York-Times-Headline-NIXON-RESIGNS-Newspaper-August-9-1974-/200678426639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb95dc80f

This one is currently selling for $9.99 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIXON-RESIGNS-AUGUST-9-1974-ORIGINAL-MIAMI-HERALD-NEWSPAPER-PAGES-1-36A-/270857667629?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1060042d

I would say ebay is your best bet...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:14:20 pm »
I think one of the most valuable 20th century papers you can get is gonna be the famous "Dewey defeats Truman" issue. that used to be worth over $1000 but in this market even its down to about $400
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:30:44 pm »
Sadly, there is little collector's value on your papers. I've seen moon landing papers from 1969 that I've passed over because there was nothing left on the resale market for me.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:46:32 am »
But don't toss them!!!  Sometimes, the advertisements inside are worth more than the whole newspaper, especially if in color.  A lot of people decorate with old ads.  I'm framing a couple of ads from The Delineator as we speak!

I would suggest eBay-ing the front page only in the collectibles section -- and in the collectibles section for the theme (for example, put the moon landing one in the space/science collectibles area, not the newspapers section).  Someone may want a headline to frame and put on the wall with all their other collectibles of that theme. 

Then, try selling the ads separately.  Color ones are MOST desirable.  Full-page/large ads are desirable.  Ads for famous things are desirable (Kodak, VW, etc).  Group them and sell them together -- for example, a medical office might want to buy a bunch of old patent remedy ads as a group, or someone might want car ads, etc.

It's a chance at getting more than one dollar for the whole  newspaper.

sam.throssell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »
Thanks everyone! some great info :)