Author Topic: Any idea what this is?  (Read 2237 times)

tony641

• View Profile
Any idea what this is?
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:39:24 pm »
I was visting my grandparents this weekend and my grandmother gave this to me.  She said that she has no idea what it is or what it is worth.  I'm sure someone out there knows what it is.  It's about 6"wide and high.  The only markings I can read ore on the back side.  it has a 64 on both the bottom and top.  There is some kind of mark on the bottom but I cant make anything out.  Any information at all would be a big help.  It appears to be made of maybe brass.  Thanks again.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: Any idea what this is?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:08:46 pm »
is that some kind of felt lining on the inside? The holes almost make me think incense burner but Im prolly wrong
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

tony641

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:27:38 pm »
Yeah it's green felt.  I was thinking some kind of burner myself but there are no black/burn marking on the inside.  The latch looks like it was made to have some kind of lock on it. 

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:27 pm »
I would have thought the same thing, if not for the felt. The cut outs always seem to be that shape on them. Hmmmm....hope we get this one figured out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:50 pm »
It looks like an ordinary little trinket/cricket box !! You can find many on ebay !! From small ones to larger ones !!  These have been sold here for many years !!  Most are made in India but also can be from Hong Kong, Taiwan ect !! Trinket boxes are sometimes lined, these are also called Cricket boxes and are used for pet crickets if unlined !!

tony641

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:48:06 pm »
Yeah, that's what it is.  I just checked it out on Ebay and they have the same ones.  I would have never guessed that.  Thanks again, I knew I could count on this site for the answer.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 08:10:39 pm »
Good one, mart!