Author Topic: Bronze figurine  (Read 1377 times)

fawectal03

• View Profile
Bronze figurine
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:29:46 pm »
Hi, I have an old looking figure which I think might be bronze. I inherited it about 10 years ago and it has been under the bed since then collecting dust! I have recently dug it out and have spent days on end searching through Goggle images to try and find out what it is. I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help as I'm getting nowhere!
The figure is of a seated man with a detailed globe and some books. All the detail is very good and the object is really heavy. It has two holes in the back and a threaded hole in the main part of the figure, I believe this is where a stalk from a lamp has previously been but am not sure if this is original or has been an alteration. I haven't seen anything anywhere on the internet that looks similar. I have done a small scratch test on the underside which brought a goldie looking colour so I think it is bronze not spelter.

Any help or ideas would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

mart

• View Profile
Re: Bronze figurine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:13:06 pm »
Can you post pics of this ??  My imagination is not that good anymore and we need details !! If its bronze it should have a foundry mark somewhere !! Did you check the bottom ??

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »
I'm guessing of course, could your figure be Galileo? I remember one with Galileo sitting beside a globe, some books, and a telescope laying nearby.

Regardless...it's going to require a photo of the piece.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 05:53:29 pm »
One more thing,, what is your city ?? I may have an idea on this !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 06:12:15 pm »
 Is this it?  Titled "Learning with the world betwixt one's legs"

Old bronze paperweight Philadelphia 1950's

The reason I show these (most likely they are not the same as yours).  Descriptions aren't always enough.  Time period attire, how they are positioned, the objects themselves make a huge difference in allowing people to help you define your piece.  Please post pics!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:22:14 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!