Author Topic: Need help identifying Antique China Cabinet  (Read 1500 times)

ej747

• View Profile
Need help identifying Antique China Cabinet
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:10:46 pm »
It was my grandmother's and it's old, that's about all I know

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need help identifying Antique China Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:52:06 pm »
It is a nice Empire style curio cabinet !! I say curio cabinet as these were not intended for china as in tableware but more for all the items you have on the lower shelves !! Pretty vases, figurines ect that one would not want broken although many people use them for either one !! Pics are a bit fuzzy when enlarged but it looks like it is from early 1900`s and I am guessing it is oak but closer detailed pics would help on that !! As far as value prices can run from $750. to about $1500. because of the curved glass and some areas even a bit higher depending on size and condition !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:14:20 pm »
I agree with the previous answer. It is a curved glass china cabinet that was made around the turn of the 20th century. Typical of Grand Rapids style furniture. These have been reproduced in huge quantities in the 70s and 80s when the old pieces like yours first became popular. I personally sold many of them in the late 70s when they where still easy to find. They often accompanied round oak tables and pressed back chairs as a set.

ej747

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:28:01 am »
Thanks to both of you, I will try to get more detailed pics. It's in pretty good shape, just needs minor restoration. Any idea what a restoration would cost me?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 10:45:14 am »
Personally,, I would just polish it well and use it !! Is there anything major wrong with it ?? Small scratches can easily be covered up and I didn`t see any problems from your pics !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:20:28 pm »
Those minor scratches are also the integrity of the piece!  The story of it's past...and if it is family...it is priceless!  Just a little polish or scratch remover can help some!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!