Author Topic: antique 9 spindle back rocking chair  (Read 2580 times)

rsorgel

• View Profile
antique 9 spindle back rocking chair
« on: December 12, 2011, 08:03:30 am »
my grandma has this over a century old rocking chair she says its worth money because it has 9 spindles on it. when i try to look it up, i see spindle back chairs but there is no one on ebay flaunting that "this chair has 9 spindles instead of 7 so its worth more" is she out of her mind to think having 9 spindles makes a difference or does she actually know what shes talking about? the back rest is nicely carved and the seat could use some restoration but isnt too bad yet. i didnt see any markings on it but didnt look extremely hard. can anyone toss an opinion on the chair to me? also an estimated value would be nice to bring back to granny. thanks =) ps i just joined this forum yesterday and am really enjoying it. i dont really have much knowledge to offer on antiques YET but i find it fun to learn about things and place input on ebay dealings. thanks!

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: antique 9 spindle back rocking chair
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:03:25 am »
Your Grandma's rocker is better looking than a lot of sewing rockers out there, but the fact remains that it is just a nice rocker...with 9 spindles. In today's depressed market, it would stand out from the rest, but would probably still struggle to bring $100. Years ago, there would have been more appreciation for it, when some buyers sought out unusual designs or spindle count.

(As I'm sitting here, I'm looking at a beautiful triple press back rocker with curved arms and 9 turned spindles. Years ago, I think I paid $250 for it, and thought it was a bargain. Today, if it was offered for sale, it might bring half of that.)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:13:30 am »
As far as I know the number of spindles is at the whim of the maker and is only worth more if you count labor involved in making it !!  If it were a Windsor then yes,, that would add to the value but this is not one !! Its just a nice little boudoir rocker that happens to have 9 spindles !! Rauville`s value is about right for most areas of the country !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:15:04 pm »
We are so spoiled today....

We need to pause and step back to your Grandmothers times...life wasn't so easy to: earn money, purchase furniture, furniture wasn't as mass produced, etc.  The things of our relatives were literally bought/made with sweat/tears...most of ours don't get a drop of sweat!

So, to answer the question was it worth more....back in it's time....yes.  The workmanship and wood made it more.  Is your grandmother crazy....well....I am not touching that one!  Chances are she isn't and even if she is....Love her to pieces and cherish the time you are privileged to have with her!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rsorgel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:47:19 pm »
KC, after reading your post, i started thinking "antique chairs should be worth more because of the work it took to make them by hand." think of it as compared to amish furniture these days. they cost several hundreds of dollars becaue of the work it takes to hand make them. these chairs took the same work as amish chairs do plus they're really old! it is sad that people (myself included) would honestly rather have a few hundred dollar brand new chair made by machines and people on an assembly line than a hand carved peice of art. we dont appreciate these things anymore and while i try to, it is honestly hard.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 01:56:17 pm »
Totally agree rsorgel!!!!  Even in the US "depression" today....we still don't fully appreciate all we have! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:23:04 pm »
Both of you are right !! Unfortunately when people come here to ask about their items,, todays value is what they want !!  I am sure that since your Grandmother gave more than some other chairs when she purchased it,, it will always be of great value to her !!  Just carry on the tradition she set and always hold items dear to her, as dear to you !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 05:18:18 pm »
Yes! Rockers and pianos are some of the most greatly under-appreciated things. Yours is special because of all the family memories associated with it. I'm sure your mother or father was rocked to sleep when they were a fussy baby, then they probably pretended to be caged lions peering through the spindles as they grew. Those are what make a rocker priceless. Ask Grandma to tell you those stories and don't ever let it go.
Antiqueaholic in recovery