Author Topic: Valuation of multiple paintings?  (Read 1143 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Valuation of multiple paintings?
« on: December 13, 2011, 09:30:31 am »
I have a collection of 13 original paintings by James Ralph Johnson, all of which depict the history of the West. They are identical in size, and framing, differing only in subject matter.
I can find single paintings by this artist that have sold; but how do you price a series? Just take $__x 13, or do multiple paintings detract from the overall value?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Valuation of multiple paintings?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:53:40 am »
Is there a name for your series ??  Or is each named separately ?? Some artists do this type of painting but most do not !!  Reason being rarely would an individual have a use for 13 paintings and that is where they make their money by selling to individuals !!  Now there are occassions where a museum ect. might commission a series of paintings but I would have to check on that !!  Can you post a pic of one,, front and back with any labeling it may have ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Valuation of multiple paintings?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:59:47 am »
He painted western art pics and lived in Santa Fe, NM.  (1922-1997)

Agree about very unlikely selling a group/series like this...especially 13...unless might have been part of his estate?!

Something I have observed...that many have not sold that I have observed on the web.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!