Author Topic: lionel trains  (Read 1183 times)

rsorgel

• View Profile
lionel trains
« on: December 14, 2011, 02:54:36 pm »
im going to an auction in a little while and there is supposed to be 50+ lionel trains, 4 engines, lots of track and accessories. doing some research right now but wondering if anyone had some input before i leave. im not sure how old the trains are or condition but if anyone knows some things to look out for when dealing with these trains it would be great!!! also if theres any commonly missing things on trains that i can inspect when i get there thanks so much!

mart

• View Profile
Re: lionel trains
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:59:01 pm »
Only thing I know is that the scale is important in determining value on some of them !! Just what size is most valuable,,I have no idea !! But when doing your research pay attention to that !!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:00:49 pm by mart »

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:31:19 am »
In the FWIW department:  I recently cleaned out a closet and found some of the electric trains our kids had and among them was a Lionel steam locomotive (I think O gauge) in very bad condition.  One missing driver wheel.  Not in runnable condition, good only for parts or repair.  It brought $52 on Ebay  I think we had bought this used and was from the 1950's.  Other comparable specimens may bring more or less.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:49:47 pm »
    a goodwill I have posted lots of trains over the past month.  O Gauge and N Gauge seems to get the most, HO not so much.  O Gauge is the bigger older train sets, seems that many will buy even the beat up set for parts and tracks.  As for the N gauge, these are the really small train, that we usually get in good condition. I assume these are newer gauge and since they are small, works well for those with limited space to have a train set.