Author Topic: What type of pottery is this?  (Read 2347 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
What type of pottery is this?
« on: December 24, 2011, 06:05:59 pm »
This past week I picked up this unusual piece of pottery at the thrift store for $3.00 but I have no idea what type of pottery it is other than I think it's a very interesting and attractive piece of pottery and art work. There are no identification markings of a maker or artist on the piece.

The piece seems to be made out of red clay then painted with a base of some kind of black paint then painted with a white, yellow, green and red design over it. It measures about 5 3/4 inches wide by 5 3/4 inches deep and about 3 inches tall from the base to the top of the handle. I have no idea of the age of the piece.

Does anybody know what this type of pottery would have been used for and where or when it may have originated from or any other information about it? I'm assuming it's a tourist piece but would still like to know more about it.

Thanks!

Kevin

" width="749" height="1115" border="0
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:04:20 am by KevinM »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: What type of pottery is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 10:11:56 pm »
My immediate reaction was that it was Mexican pottery, but I don't know if that is right or not. Looking online, it looks like a lot of black pottery comes from Oaxaca Mexico. Maybe some of the others with more experience in this area can help...
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:23:42 am »
Looks more Mexican than Native American !! Native American pieces were more symbolic !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 07:40:10 pm »
Thanks talesofthesevenseas and mart for the replies. I also thought it might be Mexican pottery but I'm not convinced. I haven't been able to find this style of what I guess I would call somewhat of a tray of some type anywhere. I haven't even been able to find a design pattern to these anywhere so I'm a little bit lost on the origin of the piece although for some reason the piece looks familiar to me but I just can't place it.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:45:08 pm by KevinM »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »
It could be a condiment/sauce set meant for the table !! Similar to our oil and vinegar sets !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:38:28 pm »
Just something doesn't sit right about it....Not typical of Mexican items we see here in Texas.n  I get more of a S American feel.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

BobInVirginia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:11:42 pm »
My guess would be african - note the red / yellow / green stripes. I've never seen anything quite like these though.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 02:00:47 pm »
Look at the bottom and see if you can tell if its black clay or just colored black in some way !!  Also see if there is a swirl pattern from a potters wheel !!  Sometimes you can see if it was a turned piece or if hand coiled !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 07:55:08 pm »
mart, I think the entire pottery piece was initially made from red clay including the bottom. I also think that is was then colored in black over the entire piece as a base color then painted with a white, yellow, green and red design over it.

I don't see any swirl pattern from a potters wheel, it's more likely hand made from a coiled method or some other type of hand made method.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 08:02:09 pm by KevinM »