Author Topic: console table and other stuff  (Read 2678 times)

Coldeedy

• View Profile
console table and other stuff
« on: December 21, 2011, 01:47:33 pm »
hiya all
 new on here and looking for help
 a while back i was asked to clear a house for an old friend who was moving into care, part of my payment was to take what i want and dump the rest,
i feel i have done well out of the deal as i have some nice stuff, not being that clued up on antique/old furniture i have no idea of value, hoping you all can give me some clues as ebay seems very vague on values as i cant find the same items, just similar with values that seem all over the place,

anyway i have plenty of pics for you to look at, no real idea of age except they were all bought after 1945 as there house in london was bombed , they relocated to blackpool shortly after but i believe most of it was bought in london,

a few pics to start you off,
thanx in advance.....

this mirror was on the wall above the table but they dont seem to match..

this is painted metal

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:57:34 pm by Coldeedy »

Coldeedy

• View Profile
Re: console table and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 06:44:54 pm »
more pics

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:12:04 am »
That is a really nice looking secretary-bookcase. I like that.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:24:42 pm »
I would say that these are a mfrs version of the neoclassical style !!  Many pieces like this show up as Victorian pieces although they were made much later !! That lady really liked gold didn`t she ?? The secretary hutch is jacobean revival !! You might look at it a bit closer because I think it may have been made before 1945 !! More likely around 1930 or a bit before !!  Not much of this style was made after about 1940 !! Styles were changing !!

Coldeedy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 02:33:45 pm »
dont know when it was made, just know they refurnished at the end of the war, how can you tell the age of it, what am i looking for

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:21:12 pm »
Construction methods were not much different from 1930 to 1950 so you have to look at the style and age of the wood !!  Hard to do without being there !!  I think you can say that it was made around 1930 and be safe !! It is not going to make a huge difference in price either way !!  Even if she refurnished after the war,, this could have been a used piece when she bought it !!

Coldeedy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 04:42:25 pm »
would the table be about the same age, it looks like mahogany from the back and the top is marble, it is all screwed together so i guess its not that old, would it also be normal for someone to add a mirror that doesnt match,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 05:01:39 pm »
The table is later and is likely 1945 to 1950 !! Tables like this did not usually come with a matching mirror although it may have had one,, it would have been purchased separately !! If she already had the mirror you have,, and it was similar in style,, yes,,she would have used it instead of buying an additional one !! It was a common thing to do !!

Coldeedy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 06:15:01 pm »
any idea of values on those and the lamps..

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 07:15:21 pm »
Being that you are in the UK I am afraid that any price here might not compare with what items are bringing where you are !!  Could be more or could be less,, I really can`t say !! And condition is important as well !! Although they look pretty good from what I can see !!  The console table here in Texas would bring around $450 if in good condition,, the mirror,, around $75. to $100. depending on how big it is and if its in good condition. Smaller mirror around $50. The secretary/hutch would likely bring $500. or a bit more because of the wood and its style !! It would blend with the decor of many homes here !! Have to look at the other items again tomorrow !!  Forgot what they look like !!  Will add their approx. price tomorrow !!