Author Topic: Another Table Lamp  (Read 1985 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Another Table Lamp
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:26:52 pm »
I was hoping someone could estimate the age of this lamp. There is no maker marks or country of origin that I can find anyway. What would it be made of? its very heavy. It is 32.5" tall.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Another Table Lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »
That looks a lot like a Rembrandt Lamp. Is there a UL sticker? If there is you can look up the E number on line and see who had it listed with Underwriters. It is most likely from the 70s or later and looks expensive. The shade fits perfectly too and is probably original.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »
I think there is a UL sticker but I dont have the lamp here to check. Luckily for me I rent storage space from my cousin and he never minds checking things like this for me. I always assumed the UL sticker would just lead me back to the supplier of the electrical components so I never looked into it any further. I thought I remembered lamps like this one being sold in the early 80's but I didn't know if it was these were in style before then. My cousin is going to call me back with the UL #.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:26:00 pm »
I spent 30 years in the lighting business. I have seen the name of the manufacturer right on the UL label. Stiffel lamp has it on there a lot.  All in all it is very nice lamp and shade and there are a lot of designers who would love the colors today. I never thought I would see the day when items I sold when they were new would turn up on an antique forum. I see it here almost everyday. My favorite is when I go to a show and someone is selling a chrome piece from the 70s and calling it Art Deco.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:48:34 pm »
Unfortunately no UL sticker and I haven't been able to find any lamps like this to compare. Any suggestions for keywords I could use in my search? I really need to get some lamps sold ASAP. I have a few more I think I'm gonna need help with.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:24:56 pm »
If you were to research lamps, manufacturers and importers in the US in the latter half of the 20th century you would realize that there were hundreds of companies with hundreds of products in many styles and colors. Manufacturers would buy porcelain from all over the world and build lamps and fixtures. Rembrandt lamp would be a good one to start with because they specialized in large traditional forms like this one. Stiffel was, and still is most likely, primarily brass finished base metal with porcelain from Lenox occasionally that was usually off white. I wish you luck in your search but it will be arduous.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:37:31 pm »
Well I sure do appreciate you pointing me in a direction frogpatch. Any direction sure beats wandering around in circles. Thanks