Author Topic: old silver coins.. help  (Read 1075 times)

wac137

• View Profile
old silver coins.. help
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:35:16 pm »
I found these 2 old coins and i am pretty certain they were peace dollars as i can make out the outline on one of them still, just wanting to get some opinions and any information on there value in this condition. I assume they are only worth there value in silver in this shape but im not sure what that value would be.

jondar

• View Profile
Re: old silver coins.. help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 07:29:12 pm »
Silver closed today (12/21/11) at $29.14 an oz.  Probably some eroded off the sides of yours so very close to an oz.  You might check coin dealers in your are to see what they pay for silver.  Many jewelry stores will buy gold and silver.  Stay away from the pawn shops.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
Re: old silver coins.. help
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:08 pm »
No offense, but do you have very large hands?  The Peace Dollar is 1.5" in diameter.  But I believe that was the only coin with that liberty head design, so if it's not the peace dollar, it would have to be some kind of commemorative, or token. 

Yes, as a coin, it's worthless -- coin value depends on how close it is to sheer perfection as is possible for its age and usage.  Even coins I've shot with guns were in better shape than this one!  So, it's silver melt value, or nothing.