Author Topic: Miniature Original Framed Painting on Tile  (Read 2253 times)

wolfhouse

• View Profile
    • Wolfhouse Vintage
Miniature Original Framed Painting on Tile
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:36:50 pm »
I've seen some miniature paintings go for a lot so I'd love to see what others like this have gone for. I'm pretty sure its an original on tile because I can feel the paint in the corners, and it is cold and solid to the touch. Its about 3.25" square

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature Original Framed Painting on Tile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:03:02 pm »
Any signatures?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:15:33 pm »
Is there any indication of age? It the tile marked on the back? What is holding the tile in the frame? Is their any age patina to the gilt on the frame. Some miniatures attributed to well known artists sell for a lot and some by unknowns do also if they are they are great examples. This style could be very recent of very old. Hard to tell from the photo. Look at the picture under a loop and see if their are indications of brush work and not transfer decoration. Or a combination of both.

wolfhouse

• View Profile
    • Wolfhouse Vintage
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:02:00 pm »
There are no markings or signatures. And when I run my fingers over it I can feel brushmarks, but its hard to see at an angle.

And what is transfer decoration?

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:02:33 pm »
My guess is that this is an example of craft/shop-ware produced in some quantity , perhaps for tourists in European climes .

It seems probable that the section of the paper backing (which would be a bit unusual for an antique tile , since they are usually made from fired clay) that been ripped away once had a 'made in' (or price) sticker on it .

There seem to be protuberances under the paper backing (looks like brad-heads , or something like them) of a type which also would not be seen in antique tiles (@ least in my experience) .... perhaps the mat'l the hand-painting was put on was/is not tile (@ least not the 'fired' type) .

You might be able to detect what the mystery 'brad-like' bumps on the backing might be by gently slicing through the paper to expose one (wouldn't worry a great deal about damaging it's value by doing so .

Worse case , you might find a plastic grid , coated in plaster ..... hope not , but just sayin' ...

Cool little item , wolfhouse .

A loose translation of a 'transfer' would be very like a printed decal , which is applied on the top of a surface .
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:04:50 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 01:22:16 pm »
TO answer your question "what is transferware?"  http://www.transcollectorsclub.org/faqs/new_collector/whatistransferware.html

Fancypants, I am definitely leaning towards your way of thinking...but it is really hard to say with the quality of pictures and not having a hands on.

Some people don't realize that these miniatures were painted on several different mediums..."During the 18th century, watercolour on ivory became the standard medium. The use of ivory was first adopted in around 1700, during the latter part of the reign of William III; miniatures prior to that time having been painted on vellum, chicken-skin or cardboard, a few on the backs of playing cards, and many more on very thin vellum closely mounted on to playing cards."

I can honestly say that the paper backing isn't indicative of a true older one....but, this could be a redo.The metal clasping isn't either....but it could have been added later.  I am saying this because I have been wrong with saying something wasn't an original...but it was because of the "redos" that had been done to it over time that had me make this call.  So, I try and take caution on some of these items.

From first glance, I would say it is a tourist item...but once again...I can't see the details.
What is your frame made of?

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wolfhouse

• View Profile
    • Wolfhouse Vintage
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:00:30 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys. I am not going to cut any bit of the paper backing away, but I pressed on the little bumps on both sides and they have what feels like the sharp end of a small nail under them. I also lifted up the area that was already torn and was just plain tile, no glue or grids, with a small metal brace in the middle, presumably where the little nail ends are coming from.

The frame feels like its made of plaster. It could be wood but I don't think so. The plaster frame is them attached to the wooden square on the back. Let me know if you would like any pictures of anything in particular.
Here are two more I have on hand:

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 07:25:23 pm »
What concerns me is that the lady appears to be wearing a corset-like bodice on the exterior of her outfit. That's a "pirate wench thing" which I know is not historically accurate, or it could be a "St Pauli Girl thing" which I don't think is historically accurate but I cannot say for sure. Maybe someone else can comment on historically accurate German barmaid attire. Real Victorian ladies did not wear their underwear on the outside of their clothing and I don't think it was done in other cultures. I think the St Pauli Girl look is more of a modern take on traditional attire but I could be wrong, as I am not familiar with what is and isn't accurate for German costuming. The Renaissance Faire "wench wear" is not historically accurate, but is generally accepted because it is a whole lot more fun to wear than the conservative sack-like clothing of the time. I can't tell if the gentleman's clothing is supposed to be 18th century or if it is 1850's. I wonder if I am misunderstanding the painting, or if it could be a more modern romantic idea of a Victorian scene? Any comments on that?
Antiqueaholic in recovery