Author Topic: I finally got to buy something fun. Geeze.  (Read 6448 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: I finally got to buy something fun. Geeze.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 04:55:30 pm »
Aw darn, it is only a preview but thank you still! I will read through it today. :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 05:10:32 pm »
Hmm... looks like most of it is there and they leave a few choice pages out in between. Sorry, I thought it was the whole thing.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 05:30:34 pm »
That's ok, I still appreciate it very much! Preview goes up to page 42 and there are 200 something pages. I would love to see the thumb latch section because I'm gettin' all into those now. But it's still great for reference. :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:34:15 pm by hosman321 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 09:11:28 am »
I drove by the library this weekend but...  My library card was not in my wallet!!  Arrrhh...

I did find the book tho so I took pics of the scissor section.  Not a lot of pages so I'm not sure if it will help or not.  I also found 1 other book with some marks (no pics or text) and took pics of that as well. I'll post the marks but...... Wayward, if it's not OK, let me know and I'll delete..

I have several other pages of text and pics Hosman so PM your email and I will send.  I had to change my email and no longer have your addy.

Here is a set of pics that closely resemble your handle style.  Book says it is Chinese which I thought was interesting. No other makers in the book had this style of handle.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:36 am »
Here are the makers marks from Zalkins Handbook of Thimbles and Sewing Implements: A Complete Collector's Guide With Current Prices by Estelle Zalkin

This was all the marks for scissors...

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 09:22:13 am »
I don't think these marks are unique to scissors but they were the only marks in the book.

From Antique Sewing Tools and Tales by K. W. Gullers

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
There is only a brief mention of iron scissors in this article on antique scissors identification, but I thought you still might find it interesting. http://elegantarts.com/Newsletter1.pdf
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 03:48:52 pm »
Ladies, thank you for your replies! I don't know how I never saw them, sorry about the late reply. I actually accidentally saw them because I was looking for that partial book on google to look through. I bought 2 pairs of 18th century shutters and thought it might have some good info on the hardware. I didn't spot my specific mark but still great references, thank you again for taking the time oceans and for your research tales! :)

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 05:04:25 pm »
those are awesome!! i love old iron. and I know for a fact those are VERY hard to forge properly so the maker must have been skilled, and only professionals signed there work
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 02:02:59 am »
I'm just curious. What are the chances of the same seller having a nearly identical item that was made by the same blacksmith (or company) over 200 years ago? This is the same maker's mark as mine, being sold by the same seller. Are they selling reproductions? Over the past several months, I have wondered why they deal mainly with iron items. Should I email them? Can anyone make out the name on the mark?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18th-19th-C-Colonial-Antique-Wrought-Iron-Scissors-Shears-Signed-/160704796852?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5181571295223801080

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 02:09:12 am »
The name on the new ebay scissors looks like JUAN OCAMPO. But I can't make out the bottom word. Mine do not look like they have JUAN or OCAMPO on them but it is the same rooster and same orientation of the circle under the rooster. Maybe the same company mark with different makers? I just want to know if I was sold a repro or an actual old pair.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:49:02 am by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 02:15:46 am »
Ohh, on the other side of the new ebay scissors, it says "SANTIAGO OCAMPO" and CORONADA" or "CORONADO." Mine also have this same mark, now that I look. Now we have two names, can we figure out who this is/was?