Author Topic: Getting an antique mug appraised...where to start?  (Read 1931 times)

k92rules

• View Profile
Getting an antique mug appraised...where to start?
« on: August 31, 2004, 10:29:58 am »
Now I know nothing about antiques and a friend referred me to your site so I'm hoping I can get some help.  Sorry for the size of the pics.

I have an antique beer stein from Holland (I think) that's about 200 yrs old which I got when my grandmother passed away a few years ago. She told me it's worth some pretty good coin and I'd like to get it appraised and possibly insured if REALLY valuable. Do you go to an antique store? Some other place? I'm at a loss.

Any other suggestions/thoughts are appreciated.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 05:08:18 pm »
:huh: the first thing you do is determine, any makers mark's on the bottom? ;)  

k92rules

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 11:34:15 am »
I honestly don't know because I didn't know to check for them but I will this evening.  Thanks!

If there is NOT a mark on the bottom, perhaps because it was worn off or whatever, does that mean it's worthless???

BTW - I'm not necessarily looking to sell it (unless it's worth a buttload of money).  I'd rather make sure that it's insured should something happen.  It's more of a sentimental thing that a money thing.

Thanks for the reply.

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 06:28:21 pm »
:huh: 95% percent of quality stiens were trade marked,