Author Topic: Lotus Ware vase, or...?  (Read 1136 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Lotus Ware vase, or...?
« on: January 04, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »
I've had this piece of 1890's Lotus Ware by Knowles, Taylor & Knowles sitting around for years, and have never been certain what the form is. It measures about 5" tall x 6" wide, with raised reticulated gardooning(?), and beaded rim and foot.
Would it be called a vase, or could it be a jar without a lid?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Lotus Ware vase, or...?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:39:27 pm »
That is an odd piece !!  Since it is footed I would think vase !! But that small size it could just as easily be part of a dresser set !!  I don`t think it had a lid as the gold is at the edge and normally something that had a lid wasn`t colored since it is not seen with the lid on !! So I guess were back to vase !!  LOL

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 04:41:32 pm »
Is that a brass rim on the inside. It sort of looks like an oil lamp base and the reservoir, wick and chimney assembly may have sat in there.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:17:52 pm »
http://www.themuseumofceramics.org/lotus.html  Have you read this on the history of Lotus ware ?? Very interesting !!  There is a similar shaped piece at the bottom that has a lid and called a rose jar !!  Although I do not think that is what yours is !!  Still think yours is a vase !!  As records were sketchy on lotus ware and production was small there could be a good value to your vase !!  Only about 5000 pieces are said to remain that are documented !!