Author Topic: PLEASE help identify an old dressing table/mirror/dressor, possibly 1920's?  (Read 2970 times)

wildbill

• View Profile
Hello everyone,

Here is the piece of furniture that I scored today from the thrift store for $20!:)

It has some chips, dings, and scratches but for the price I couldn't pass it up..

It also had a locked drawer that really got me excited into the buy...I found two diamond earings in a case, and another piece of jewelry, but I am unsure of their value.

I've looked all over the net but can't find anything similar to this furniture.....nothi ng??.

Does anyone know anything about this piece of furniture?

Many thanks in advance!!!

wildbill

• View Profile
close up of door

wildbill

• View Profile
label on back

wildbill

• View Profile
back

wildbill

• View Profile
drawer close up

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
That was a good deal for $20! It's quite lovely. Can you show a shot of the drawer construction with any dovetails that might be there?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
Nice little 20`s early 30`s dresser !! Pretty common type and style,, everything back then had locks !!  Value around $100. depending on condition !!  That number on the back is the style number and the rest is "walnut,,dresser" Cant match the style number without knowing the company and this type was made by many mfrs. Try looking for "knee hole dresser" might be listed that way !!

wildbill

• View Profile
Hello,

Thank you for your replies! 

I wish it was in better shape but that mirror is fantastic and it comes right out with the loosening of some wing nuts

I'm not sure what dove tails are but I'll take some shots of the drawer construction.

mart

• View Profile
Where the drawer fronts attach to the side pieces there are little finger joints !!  Those are the dove tails !!  Can use these to narrow date of construction in some furniture !!  But looks like your date is close !!  20`s to early 30`s !!

matty77

• View Profile
You might have better luck finding something comparable on the internet using the term "vanity", or "dresser vanity".  We recently bought and sold a waterfall piece that (except for the mirror) looked quite similar.  Good luck!

hosman321

• View Profile
I agree, 20s-early 30s. Great deal for $20, you can't even get new plywood junk for that much! Even if you decide to spend some money and get it all nice again, it will still be less expensive than it would be to buy something that big brand new. And, you'll have some cool history behind it to boot. Not to mention, it's pretty awesome to be thrifty and re-purpose something and keep it out of a landfill!
Worth about $75 in my area in it's current condition. Get 'er all refinished and pretty again and worth about $250 or so, I would think. I agree, search for 20s vanity or 1920s vanity for comparable stuff.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:25:57 am by hosman321 »

mart

• View Profile
Try using a bit of Old English dark oil !! You can get it at your grocery or hardware store !!  Walnut covers well and you may not need much work to use it !!  Just wipe it on like any oil furniture polish and it will cover those scratches and dings !!

kaitlyndawn

• View Profile
Try googling tri-fold vanity. Nice find!