Author Topic: Antique hide bound trunk  (Read 2165 times)

qochoc

• View Profile
    • Wade Creek House
Antique hide bound trunk
« on: January 14, 2012, 03:36:33 pm »

I have not purchased this yetbut I'm interested, Anyone have thoughts, original, repro and Value?

Thanks

Jim

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique hide bound trunk
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:25:05 pm »
I don`t think it a repro,, but not in good condition at all !!  What did the seller tell you about it ??  What is the newsprint it is lined with ??
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:26:38 pm by mart »

qochoc

• View Profile
    • Wade Creek House
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:32:53 pm »
I don`t think it a repro,, but not in good condition at all !!  What did the seller tell you about it ??  What is the newsprint it is lined with ??

Seller doesn't know anything and the lining seems like its supposed to be there.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 07:10:18 pm »
Definitely doesn't look like a repro. I would say very early 1800s, possibly even late 1700s. Hard to tell from the photos. If you like it, buy it. You can check out similar chests on ebay to see what they are currently selling for. You can also use it as a bargaining tool if he/she is asking too much. To see what items have sold for in the past, go here---->> http://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch/?rt=nc
Type in your keywords such as "hide trunk" or "early 1800s trunk" or "18th century chest" etc etc.
Check the box that says "COMPLETED LISTINGS" and then hit search.
People can ask for the moon in current ebay listings but it doesn't mean they will actually get that amount. It's much better to see what people have actually purchased items for. ;)

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 08:17:25 pm »
Appears to be English in origin, and is certainly old and of the period. In my opinion, it's in better condition than the majority of as-found trunks you come across. The hasp must be missing for the lock? Value wise...I would guess $200-300 would be fair??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 10:12:43 am »
Reading that newsprint should give you an idea of its origin !!  It was not uncommon to line many things with newsprint !!  I would date the trunk  same as Hosman early 1800`s !!  Is it a large trunk or a smaller one ?? 

qochoc

• View Profile
    • Wade Creek House
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:07:51 am »
the trunk size is 2 1/2 L X 1 1/2  D x 1 1/2 H

Thanks for all the answers

Jim

qochoc

• View Profile
    • Wade Creek House
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 03:28:28 pm »
all right I went and purchased for $75..... I do like it a lot

jim

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 05:19:36 pm »
That is a smaller trunk and you certainly can`t go wrong at that price !!  Many times the smaller sizes were used when a son reached age and left home !!  It was given to him by his parents to keep his possesions in as he traveled !!  Those were likely lined with newsprint as other things, feed and flour sacks, were too valuable to use other than for clothing !!  I would say that the value Rauville gave is about right !! I would sure have given that price for it !! Great buy !!  Not many hide trunks left !!