Author Topic: Edited Subject: Chinese Cloisonne Vases  (Read 3609 times)

Circe

• View Profile
Edited Subject: Chinese Cloisonne Vases
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:08:18 pm »
These two vases are super cool, but leave me super confused as to their age and origin. They have no marks. They appear to be made of brass or something similar. While they are a matching pair with the same design, they do definitely look to be hand painted (skillfully). Close inspection of the line work and coloring shows they were not just transfers from the same pattern... there are clear differences.

My mother and I have no idea where these came from or when my grandparents acquired them. While everything else in the boxes I inherited contained figurines and glasswear I recognize, these were the only things I never in my life saw on display in their home. My grandfather did come back from WWII with a lot of interesting pieces, so perhaps these came into our family at that time?

Any clues about these would be welcome!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:40:12 am by Circe »

gerspee

• View Profile
Re: Handpainted Brass(?) Vases
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 02:03:43 am »
There Chinese Cloisonné vases and the design is made in between copper wires and filled with the colour and then grinded flat to the copper wire . The name cloisonné means cell so the colours are in a cell closed up . 

Circe

• View Profile
Re: Handpainted Brass(?) Vases
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 02:22:59 am »
AH! I've heard the term "Cloisonné" before, but didn't connect that this is what I have here.

The weird thing is, my grandparents had everything else I inherited out for viewing. Even the other items my grandfather brought back after WWII were displayed. These, on the other hand, were kept wrapped and boxed up away from the light of day since probably when the war ended. I think they are so awesome! Shame my grandparents never felt the need to display them... But maybe I'm the one with bad taste for falling so in love with this pair.

Since these are unmarked, are there any other clues to figuring out the maker or age? I suppose I could assume these are from the China in the 1940s, but we have zero back story other than knowing my grandfather was there during that time. He passed away last year, and my grandmother has advanced Alzheimer's.

My blurry pictures don't do these justice, the work is very beautiful (in my honest uneducated opinion).

Circe

• View Profile
Re: Edited Subject: Chinese Cloisonne Vases
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 03:11:54 am »
Okay, so I'm extremely inexperienced at this... but I have now been researching this online and while I can't find any exactly like this vase, I have found some that have very similar design elements. It is looking to me that this is pre-1920s?

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:18:14 am »
Mostly the design can give away the age but there even now still made today in China so it's difficult to tell by photo . To me the could be late 19e century vases . The Japanese Cloisonné has mostly makers marks and the good ones are made off silver en silver lining . And finding the same ones is mostly not possible because there hand crafted and vases mostly just in pairs with the same decoration . 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:15:24 am »
During and after WWII many items like these were done as cottage industry in Japan, China and Korea I think !!  They were done for income rather than as art so not unusual to have no markings !!  Could also have been purchased as older pieces by your grandfather and brought here !!  People needed money to eat and soldiers had money !! Could have been someones family heirloom !!

Circe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:37:40 pm »
Yeah, I don't think what I have here is worth thousands of dollars or anything. But I do know they are at least from the 1940s, and from what I can see online studying the materials, colors, motifs, etc. they are more than likely from the 1880-1920 range, based off what I am reading and seeing at idcloisonne.com.

I attached more pictures of the details if anyone is interested :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:39:30 pm by Circe »

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:08 pm »
I took these pictures today of the two vases I have. Deffinately the same vases just different paint and for some reason mine are painted on the bottoms. I noticed mine were done as mirror images.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:06:39 pm »
Ok I see they are the same basic shape but the rims and bottoms are different.

Circe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 04:27:56 pm »
Very similar shape, but I think the dimensions are slightly different. Yours look a little wider at the widest point, and perhaps a little more squat. I think mine are longer.

Have you checked out http://www.idcloisonne.com? I'm thinking about paying the $6.50 and trying to get a bit more info.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 10:27:05 am »
Are the borders around each piece of the design raised or are they flat ??  Appears to be flat !!  If so it is just an enameled piece and pretty common !!  Even true cloisonne is pretty common and easy to find at most shops and flea markets !!  Brass is common there and these could have been done buy any one of hundreds of families !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:23 am »
Someone can correct me here if they know different....but much older pieces typically did not enamel the bottoms of the pieces.  More modern ones typically do this.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 10:59:09 am »
I wouldn`t swear to it but I think you are correct KC !!