Author Topic: Islamic embroidery  (Read 1977 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Islamic embroidery
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:01:38 am »
Have these two very nice Islamic embroidery's but have no idea what country or district or what age the will be ? Looking at the frames I would say around 1900 maybe ?  So who is able to tell me a bit more .

Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: Islamic embroidery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 10:53:56 am »
These look like a weaving rather than embroidery !!  Much like a rug is woven !!  I would call it a tapestry !!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:06:07 am »
You have it right but what I have understood is that the makers are most likely part off a Bedouin part off the country it' would have been made .And the are mostly makers of carpets and have maybe used there skills in the same way in making these small items ? 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 04:41:54 pm »
These appear to be their form of artwork !!  There is nothing symbolic to indicate the weavers or what group did them !!  They are simple daily scenes and I think they use this much like any artist would use the scenes they are looking at in their art !! I doubt they are worth a great deal but are very interesting !! No real way to date them accurately !! I will say that they look like some I have seen that used natural dyes rather than commercial types !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:14:36 pm »
I'd say that these do not fall into the realm of "Islamic Art" , as that religion does not tolerate including anything with humans depicted .

My off-the-cuff guess would be more along the lines of objects produced for the "British Empire" types , during the period of their attempts at making 'Crown Colonies" around the world .

Cool little do-dads , gerspee !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
Took the words right out of my fingers FancyPants....I agree that they don't have human depictions such as these.

Can you post a closeup of the info on the back of the pic please?  Also do these others have any papers?  Written info?

I'm sorry but I don't have any knowledge on these.  Look forward to hearing about them as well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:22:14 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:17:02 pm »
The picture has nothing on the back any more because it came off and was to fragile to hold . Was a German word on it : Breite with means  width . And some numbers so maybe the colour codes ? That'' s all that's on them written . So maybe the frames are a time index for them ?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:39:30 pm »
Guessing by the frames is almost impossible !! There is nothing really to go by !!  From the front the frames look more 60`s or 70`s to me !!  I have had some very similar from that time period !!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 02:32:10 am »
If I look at the frames and compare them with frames like around 1900.1920 the look similar because off there patina and how the are made  .