Author Topic: Sheraton? Table  (Read 4280 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Sheraton? Table
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 11:25:26 am »
Here is Michael Hall's website, he specializes in TN stuff and is located in Nashville. Linked below is his furniture page, if you look at the sugar chests ( sugar was VERY valuable then & was kept under lock & key) , notice the similar turnings to your stand.

http://www.michaelhallantiques.com/Michael_Hall_Antiques/Furniture/Furniture.html

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 06:21:14 pm »
Thank you for showing me the website jacon, I hadn't seen that one in my searches. Very similar construction and style to his pieces. We paid $395, so I guess we got a fair deal considering it's condition. Maybe a bit high but I obviously got it because I loved it so that's what counts in my book. It did sit in that antique shop forever, it was there when I started going there over a year ago. Maybe the condition scared people off. :)
I believe it is made of cherry wood, like you said. The back piece of each drawer looks to be pine. Is is very very soft and doesn't look like oak. The drawer sides and bottom are another, third type of wood. I will take some more pictures right now, for future reference. I will post them in awhile. Thank you both again for your time and your research!

Oh, and sandpaper is definitely not an antique's friend! Don't worry, I probably won't touch it. If anything, I might have someone repair the splits. Someone in the past has but all the glue or whatever it was fell out. The ugly finish is starting to grow on me, so I don't think I'll do anything to it either.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 08:50:14 pm »
Over the years I came across several stands of this form here in the Upper Midwest. Most would have came with settlers from back East, probably being brought to the area in the late 1800's. They were a functional piece of furniture that never seemed to get discarded. The overall dimensions were always about the same, with some having single drawers, others with double drawers. A few featured drop leaves.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 06:22:20 am »
 They were a functional piece of furniture that never seemed to get discarded.

Yesssssss, and when you think about how they were first used, most homes would have had at least 1 in every room so there are alot that survive.
$395 huh, thats a fair price, did you haggle or just pay sticker price?
I probably have close to a dozen of these stands scattered around the house, from NY, Conn, Mid-Atlantic, Va, Boston, etc. What i find interesting on the Sheraton style is the turnings on the legs & how they differed from 1 region to another.
I only have 1 period candle stand by comparison because they are not very functional in todays world, all one of the grands has to do is brush by it and it tips over, which is why i dont keep anything on it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:05:12 am by jacon4 »