Author Topic: oriental style and odd marks  (Read 1123 times)

chonji

• View Profile
oriental style and odd marks
« on: January 16, 2012, 03:33:16 pm »
Hi all,

Wonder if anybody could shed light on these two chinese (?) Items, one is a decorative plate - i would be interested if anybody could comment on the pattern styling, like is it imari? famille rose? Is i think chrysanthemums and the birds are swallows.
The other is a rice bowl with cover, again the colouring and styling is similar, chrysanthemums on it?
It would be very helpful if anybodyt knows the makers marks, or could perhaps even translate!
They are not marks I have seen before on oriental stuff.
The one on the bowl seems to be highly stylised characters, i would love to know its meaning.
Equally any info on the plate mark, much appreciated!.

Plate:

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: oriental style and odd marks
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 07:58:39 pm »
   Both Terms of Imari and Famille rose are used very Broadly today.  But to be more specfic Imari is from the Imari Area, Though they have a style it should be used for Porcelain from that area.  Famille Rose is a term used by the french, basically for Family, Which is used for the Chinese style with Rose for the most part, your plate would be more Famille Rose then Imari, but like I said earlier these terms are used so broadly today, that I usually don't use them unless they are solid in these parameters.  I would have to look closer at the marks, but keep in mind most Asian style marks can easy fool us Westerners, in many cases they will use the mark of old masters and Dynasties.  Of course they will tell you that it is to honor the original artist, my Asian Friend Laughs every time he heard that.

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 06:01:33 am »
thanks for the info, if any of your firends may be able to tranlsate those signs that would be great! I agree they are probably both fairly modern, but they are nice and the factory maker or whatever revealed by the marks would be of interest for future reference certainly, ta.

i got one person told me the bowl marking means 'Nanshan' which i see is a region.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:12:18 am by chonji »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:30:38 pm »
That is likely correct as most were marked according to where they were made rather than by who made them !!