Author Topic: Old chair - any info on it?  (Read 1497 times)

jme_cay

• View Profile
Old chair - any info on it?
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:23:35 am »
I fell in love with this old chair at an antique store. I have seen it the last few times I have been in there but never saw a price tag, so I just kept going. It was in the very back room, kinda hidden behind some other things. This time I pulled it out and looked at it. I found a price tag for $12.50, so I bought it. There was just something I liked about it, and at that price, what's to lose?

I plan on refinishing and re-upholstering it. I would like to know what kind of chair it is though, maybe find out what it may have looked like originally. It looks as though it has been re-upholstered several times, there are nail holes all over the chair back. Also if anyone has any idea how old it is, and what kind of wood it is (if you can tell from the pictures).

The cushion has springs in it and is stuffed with straw.

If you look at the last picture around the top edges it looks pretty uneven, which makes me wonder if it is handmade, at least that part of it. The rest of the chair seems pretty smooth as far as where cuts were made.. I think.

I know nothing about chairs. I have searched all over the internet trying to find one like it and can't come up with anything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 01:11:42 am by jme_cay »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Old chair - any info on it?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 04:49:29 am »
A 1930's “Depression Era” dining chair, same style as this:

From this link:
http://jackson-ms.americanlisted.com/furniture/1930s-walnut-antique-dining-tablechairs-850-brandon_18312475.html

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:15:43 am »
The turned "orbs" were popular in 16th century england during the Tudor & Elizabethan period.

jme_cay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:40 am »
Cogar - Wow, thanks! It's actually older than I thought. I looked all over and couldn't find anything.  :)
jacon4 - That's really neat, thanks! I like knowing where the style comes from. I love the acorn looking "orbs" on it.

Now to decide on how I want to refinish it.. :)

jme_cay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:55:07 am »
What is the style of the back of the chair called? I can't find any like it and am trying to figure out how to re-upholster it.