Author Topic: Vintage Scandinavian High Chair  (Read 3521 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Scandinavian High Chair
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »
I purchased this Baby High Chair yesterday and have not been able to find out anything about it. I think it's a Danish or Scandinavian Baby High Chair that was made probably around the 1950's but I'm not sure. There are no makers marks on the chair anywhere.

I'm not sure about what type of wood was used to make it. The chair is about 28 inches tall, 13 1/2 inches wide at the top and about 17 1/2 inches wide at the bottom where the legs meet the floor.

One nut that holds the foot rest on has been replaced and looks fairly new while the other looks to be original to the chair. The foot rest is adjustable to 2 levels and can be removed and relocated by using the thumb screws that hold it on.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows who may have made the chair and what type of wood was used to make it. Also, when and where the chair was made and the approximate value of the chair.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:26:50 am by KevinM »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Scandinavian High Chair
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:57 am »
Looks like a booster chair for toddlers rather than for babies !! Looks like 50`s to me but difficult to  tell for sure !!  If there is no label on furniture, unless it is a unique design, almost impossible to tell the mfr !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:39 am »
Came across this..... although it has a strap in the front rather than a rail  (mid 50's)

http://www.interiordesign.net/newproducts/7687-Baxter_Liebchen_1955_beech_high_chair.php

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:29 am »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:52:38 pm »
Well Duh !!!  I didn`t put "vintage" in my searches !!!  Anothe brain freeze !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:00:27 pm »
Thanks mart and sapphire! I think you're right mart about it being a booster chair for toddlers. Wow sapphire you sure on a roll! That second chair you posted is an exact match! I was right about it being Danish and from the 50's! That second url you posted that matches the chair is great, it has almost I the info i wanted. Although, I don't think I'll go through their registration process to find out the price.

Thanks again!
Kevin

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:48:52 pm »

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:28 pm »
Are you kidding me sapphire, I about fell off my high chair when I saw that price! Who would have ever thought that much for a high chair. I bought the chair because I liked the design and thought it also might be worth a few dollars but didn't think some of these chairs would go for around $2000 or so! Too bad mine doesn't have a makers mark on it. I hope this isn't another Vancouver Special...

Thanks so much for the information!
Kevin

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:32:11 am »
Keep in mind that what they want for it may not be what it actually will sell for !!  And check the dates on those listings !! Economy is not now what it was a few years ago and trends change !! I  will say as I said on the chair,,danish modern, retro or mid century modern still is pretty hot with many designers in metro areas !!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 07:27:36 am »
OK, I have to ask............what is a Vancouver Special??   ??? :D

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 08:09:36 am »
sapphire, I said "Vancouver Special" because that is where the person bought the reproduction scale in an antique shop (The one that looks like an exact match to mine).  :D

mart, thanks, that's some good points you made. I'm going to start to pay more attention to furniture now and perhaps do a little more research on it to help me identify pieces that are in demand.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:14:25 am by KevinM »

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 09:06:29 am »
Haha........didn't even notice that. Never found any great antique shops in Gastown/east end, but LOVE the south end ones. ;) 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 11:23:17 am »
Ebay is actually a good resource as well as a few auctions for keeping up with actual selling prices !! I always change the "sort by" to ending soonest and see what the bids are on items that will sell !! Starting prices are a joke on most high demand items !!