Author Topic: Advice on old toy chest  (Read 1631 times)

srr2

• View Profile
Advice on old toy chest
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:51:29 am »
I'm shopping for opinions at the moment, so here's a real Noob question for everyone.

I have this light knot-free pine toy chest vintage ~1952.  (Yeah, I got it when I was a little kid)  It's about 3.5' W x 18" H x 18" D with a hinged lid.  As you might expect, it's pretty beat-up (or should I say "distressed" to increase its potential value?) having served as storage chest and workbench for an active, curious, and mechanically-inclined (I had the biggest Erector Set on the planet, I think) little kid.  The top is really beat...  distressed, but the sides are not too bad and still have the original goofy flying-kitty decals on them. 

Anyway, here's my dilemma:  my wife likes the thing and wants to refinish it.   That would entail sanding the sides (kitties freed to fly wherever they like) and ....  I'm not sure about the top.  Some of the hol...  distressing is rather deep -- too deep to sand out.   Then stained and lacquered.

OTOH, I think it's fine the way it is.  Except for those stupid cats, it looks acceptable, and consistent with what it is and how it was used.

So, if this has any actual value, would refinishing it destroy it?  Or is it just another piece of postwar junk that's just as well off in a landfill, so any "improvements" wouldn't alter its value one way or the other?

All opinions welcomed and appreciated!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Advice on old toy chest
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:42:33 am »
Would really like to see it if possible !!  If not possible,, I would suggest trying to get the cats off and leave the rest as original as possible !!  You will need to touch up where the cats were !!  Even though value is not much,, I think in later years you/your children may appreciate the fact that its dings and scratches are a part of your childhood !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:51:13 am »
Its "dings n' scratches" are its .... personality, .....

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:30:18 am »
If you bought a new piece of distressed furniture, they would charge extra for that "personality". Be happy your toy chest already has it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 10:52:45 am »
Keep the personality marks!

We run into differences of opinion at times here about refinishing pieces.  It is always best to keep original unless damaged or TRULY UGLY.  Restaining is okay.  If the lovely wife wants it to be some other color....over time she most likely will win out...and most likely has great insight to a great looking re-lifed piece.  I would then recommend that you seal it well and then let her faux paint it.  Later you can strip the paint off to the original if needed!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

srr2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:06:41 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the comments so far!  This was exactly the kind of input I was looking for.  I'll post some pics of it as soon as I can remove all the Christmas junk that's arrayed on top of it at the moment.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 05:57:32 pm »
Great !!  That will help us give a more informed opinion !!  Money wise,, it makes little difference if its refinished or not !!  But in another 40 or 50 years it will be an antique and your children may be asking us the same question !!