Author Topic: Old Steel and Tin Air Cooled Handle Pan - Late 1800's or Early 1900's?  (Read 2647 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
I purchased this Air Cooled Handle Pan the other day and can't find out anything about it and would like to know if anyone has any ideas. I think the pan is made of steel and the air cooled handle part of it is made possibly of tin. The diameter of the pan is about 6 inches wide, the handle is about 5 1/2 inches long and the total length is about 11 1/2 inches long.

It's my best guess the pan is from around the late 1800's or early 1900's but I'm not sure. From the wagon wheel or petal design I'm getting the feeling it could be USA Pennsylvania Dutch but since it seems factory made I'm thinking maybe somewhere in New England. There is a number stamped into the base of the handle that I can't make out but it looks like it could possibly be the number 68, I'm not sure about it.

What I would like to know is who the maker of the pan is, where the pan was made and from what time period this pan was made. Also, if anyone has any idea of what the value might be.

Thanks,
Kevin

" width="703" height="1562" border="0

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Old Steel and Tin Air Cooled Handle Pan - Late 1800's or Early 1900's?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:46:47 am »
Try Google "images" for .... tin fry pans .... or ..... tin frying pans, .... which is what I think you have.

They were made by the "millions" from the 1800's up thru the mid 1900's and from a  "1 egg" size up to a "2 dozen egg size" .... or for anything else you wanted to fry in them ..... on a stove or over an open fire.

A buddy of mine had one of the biggest ones I ever seen. I think it was like 20" wide with a 24+" handle on it. He said he found it in an old Logging Camp in the back woods of Upstate NY.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 09:26:41 am »
Thanks for the tip cogar! I found it, the keyword was what you said "tin fry pans". I didn't search for it in that way. I was getting thousands of useless links with the search algorithms I was using. The number on the base of the handle which I thought was the #68 turned out to be upside down and was a #39 (I thought the #3 was the #8). They didn't list the manufacturer or year it was made. I'll have to keep searching for that information.

It's really referred to as a "Cold Handle" tin fry pan as I later found out not "Air Cooled" as I listed it. Looks like they are asking $49.99 for the one in this link. Who knows what it will eventually go for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Collectible-Tin-Fry-Pan-6-Across-Top-/220537557816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3359101338

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:31:19 am by KevinM »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:28 am »
Most of my breakfast eggs were cooked in one of those when I was a kid !! They are not highly collected except by a few !!  Wouldn`t put too much into some of the prices !!  Look on ebay and see if any are actually selling !!  Bids only not outrageous start prices !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:57:19 am »
Ya know, I wasa thinking, those tin fry pans are really ….. “green” skillets (fry pans). Like in “green energy”.

And that is because, being made of “thin” tin, …… when you put them on the stove top “burner” they get “hot” enough to start the “frying” process in probably ½ to 1/3 the time it takes for those new “thick” aluminum skillets to get “hot”.

Thus, that  ½ to 2/3 “green” energy savings is being used to “cook your food” rather than just being used to “heat up your skillet”.   

So, iffen someone “spreads the word” to all those avid partisan protesting proponents for “green energy savings” …… the price of those tin fry pans just might skyrocket.  :D ;D ;D ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 10:43:26 am »
:) cogar!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:55 am »
Excellent idea Cogar !!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:18 am »
Thanks, mart, ...... I thought it was a wok of a good idea.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Without those “tin pans” our forefathers would probably never have realized their Manifest Destiny ……. and the West would never have been won (settled).

A tin frying pan - the American wok.

Steel woks are usually inexpensive, relatively light in weight, have quick heat conduction, and reasonable durability. Their light weight makes them easier to lift, while the thinner carbon steel heats quickly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wok
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:03:01 pm by cogar »