Author Topic: Haywood-Wakefield furniture  (Read 2876 times)

David Snyder

• View Profile
Haywood-Wakefield furniture
« on: September 06, 2004, 04:35:54 pm »

I am looking for information about a table (Swedish Modern Long Leaf Gate Leg Table by Haywood-Wakefield, Champange finish) sold in the late 1940's and early 1950's.  My parents own one and they bought it in South Bend, Indiana in 1950.  My wife admires the table and wants one!  I know I'm in trouble already!!!

Questions are as follows:

Is the company still in business?

Are there any of these tables still around (other than my parents table)?

Is anyone familiar with this table?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 08:57:22 pm »
Hi David........I will try to get you out of trouble with your wife. Be thankful that her tastes' are in antiques and collectibles as they most generally retain their value. You see she could be interested in minks and diamonds.

From my neck of the woods I don't come across a lot of Heywood-Wakefield so I don't even own a research book on the stuff but I believe there is one available.

H-W has become highly collectible in the last 10 years. 'Vintage' pieces are bringing top dollar.

Yes it is still made. I believe the company that bought them is South Beach Furniture.

H-W was mass produced so to find a 'vintage' table is probable. You might have to do some serious looking though or look at the newer merchandise that's available. Perhaps there is something close to your parent's table.

Good luck in the venture........

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID,
~ BUT ~
THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL.

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2004, 11:52:17 pm »
Yes, Tim, and I totally agree: If you run a msn search for --  heywood wakefield  -- you can go to a forum that you have to enter to join - I seem to not be able to give it as a link (computerly challenged) but anyway, it specializes in the 40's  50's blondish furniture you wife loves  -- kind of an internet swap meet -  and there's other good retail links -

Another thought - I and my DH are probable close to the parent's age - I have been delighted that at least one of my kids wants a couple of pieces of vintage/antique furniture that he grew up with - and yes, we are downsizing - he will not have to wait 'til we die - Maybe the folks would be happy to make that the next birthday present, or anniversary present -

Heywood Wakefield like your in-laws have is ageless, and even in a home that's not "mid-century modern" seems to find a place.  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 03:45:42 am »
;) that's call there modern line. try and e-mail to this address. www.info@springdalefurnishin gs.com