Author Topic: Silver Tray  (Read 1527 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Silver Tray
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:53:58 pm »
I have been going nuts trying to find more info on this. Its a thin silver tray 9.5" long and 6.75" wide. The tray is so thin it flexes and springs right back to its shape kind of like clicking a snapple lid. It weighs 74 grams or just over 2.5 oz. Lightly scratched on the back it reads handmade of pure silver India. There is some sort of mark or signiture on it that looks like sandscript to me. Unfortunately the best way to see the mark is to see it from the reverse so its backwards I think. Looks like the front side wore away too much to read it the right way.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Silver Tray
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »
I will bump it up !! I have no clue but maybe the others will know !!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »
Thanks Mart I appreciate it!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:15:34 pm »
    I am not sure what you are seeking with this tray, sounds like silver and since it is marked Pure silver that would account for the flexability of it, Sterling which is .925 is silver with other metal added because pure silver is too soft for much use.  A couple strange things came to mind when I first saw this post, is why would they make a tray of pure silver?  and the second it india has a large supply of silver but it is guarded and for the most part they do not export it, espically in the late 1800's and early 1900's it was illegal to export any of their silver.  Value of this item would be in the silver content itself, and probabaly not much more, but that would around $75.00 to may $80.00, cool tray for sure but would not be a very practical item for use.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:39:35 pm »
Thanks Ironlord. I figured it was worth a shot posting the tray incase someone here has come across another like it. I'm really curious to find out how it was made and was it really made in India or is that just where someone bought it. I know its deffinately silver I did an acid test but was wondering if it had any additional value. There isn't much silver from India out there and most of what I did find were in museum collections. I did find someone trying to sell a tray they say claim was handmade in India and it looks like it is just as thin as mine for $700.

http://atlantaantiquegallery.com/i-7600914-antique-india-solid-silver-tray.html

It looks like someone folded the tray they are selling in half at one time. I dont know if they actually think it is supposed to be that way or if they just hope no one notices its obviously damaged.