Author Topic: Can someone tell me about this antique lamp?  (Read 1694 times)

carterrocks2

• View Profile
Can someone tell me about this antique lamp?
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:28:01 am »
A few years ago, I found this lamp in my attic. I don't know very much about antiques. It works, but it's in a pretty rough condition. Can somebody please tell me about this lamp. Also, what would this be worth?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:38:49 am by carterrocks2 »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Can someone tell me about this antique lamp?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 02:24:42 pm »
1950s and 60s kitsch. These were supposed to add an exotic flair to a room. The most common one was the seated dark skinned man with the turban. There were all kinds if them made from plaster.  The Fuggitti lamp catalog in the 70s still featured some of these tacky creations. It could be filled and retouched if you are a good color mixer. Believe it or not there are a lot of kitsch collectors out there. 

carterrocks2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 09:10:35 pm »
1950s and 60s kitsch. These were supposed to add an exotic flair to a room. The most common one was the seated dark skinned man with the turban. There were all kinds if them made from plaster.  The Fuggitti lamp catalog in the 70s still featured some of these tacky creations. It could be filled and retouched if you are a good color mixer. Believe it or not there are a lot of kitsch collectors out there. 

Can you identify this specific lamp? Also, in it's current condition, how much do you think it's worth?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:31 am »
http://www.collectics.com/50s_60s_f001.html   Try looking here for something similar !! Plaster lamps did not age well and unless in very good condition are not worth a lot !!  That shade, if in excellent condition, would be worth more than the lamp !!  But it is not in good condition either !!   At best,, $30.00 for both as it is currently !!

carterrocks2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:43:03 am »
Ok, thanks.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:41:00 pm »
Agree with Mart on the timeline...that the 50's and 60's were a heyday for Hawaiian items.  Items from this time were called chalkware....otherw ise plaster. 

The items were so abundant, made here and lots imported, it would be hard to track down the creator of your piece unless it was a well known item!

Enjoy it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!