Author Topic: Wooden shoe with arm?  (Read 2412 times)

nicole041404

• View Profile
Wooden shoe with arm?
« on: February 08, 2012, 07:05:38 pm »
Hi,

I picked this item up at a flea market the other day for $3 because i thought it looked neat and it had "1972" written on the bottom in pencil. I was wondering if anyone knows what it was used for and/or what the value might be? The arm has two holes at the top...almost like something should be hanging from it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Wooden shoe with arm?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:49 pm »
What the...?!! (Sorry that was my initial reaction when I saw it!) I reminds me of a Dutch shoe, but the carving doesn't look Dutch to me and the arm is... well... I have not got a clue!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:49 pm »
I also wanted to add that it could not be a stirrup (shoe is in the wrong position) and it is too sandal-like to be a Dutch shoe. Looking at the curve where your foot would go it looks very much like it was made to be decorative and not worn. But what the heck is that arm doing there?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »
To hang bananas !! Would have a hook from those holes !! At least that is what it looks like if its tall enough !! The S hook could be moved to either hole depending on the number of bananas you bought !!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:31:28 pm by mart »

nicole041404

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »
A banana holder!! I think your right!! Thanks so much!! :-) Ya...its a really big shoe...guess the picture doesnt depict that it is a foot long. Should have added measurements too.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:43:06 pm »
Just make a hook from a wire coat hanger and use it !!  Its sure a different one !! But there are all kinds of hangers on the market in hundreds of designs !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 10:33:21 pm »
I never would have thought of a bannana holder! I hit the applaud button for that one Mart! Good call!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:34:06 am »
Bananas, ........ why anyone can see that is a shoe iron.  ;D ;D ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:28 am »
LOL !!~  Evidently I am the only one here that takes B/P meds !!  You eat a lot of bananas if you do !!  Mine were always getting over ripe before I ate them all !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 10:07:12 am »
LOL !!~  Evidently I am the only one here that takes B/P meds !!  You eat a lot of bananas if you do !!  Mine were always getting over ripe before I ate them all !!

Yep...I start every morning out with coffee, a banana, and a handfull of pills. :'(

Anyone here old enough to remember when bananas were hung by the stalk in the store? The storekeeper would grab his hooked banana knife and cut a bunch off for you. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:19:18 am »
LOL  I am not even going to answer that one Rauville !!  Heavens I remember when Safeway had pickles in barrels !!