Author Topic: Another Federal period piece  (Read 8746 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Another Federal period piece
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 03:01:05 pm »
Yeah, i got this table years ago from a dealer in connecticut, as soon as i saw it, i knew i had to have it. There are still plenty of 18th century tavern tables around but finding one intact (top, drawer,feet) is hard, add in cherry on the base (most are maple) and the turned box stretchers (most are plain slats for box stretcher), is very rare these days.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »
Absolutely love that little table! It oooooozes history and has such personality!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 05:07:56 pm »
It is a nice one !!  My opinion on why the name tavern table was used is because many colonial homes were also open to the occassional traveller and these tables were used to serve meals and possibly drink to them !! I think it was more a definitive term for a table used for those guests rather than the owners dining table !! If the lady of the house said to get the tavern table ready,, you knew there would be a paying guest !!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 07:11:35 am »
I originally thought it was a Pembroke table, because of the drop leaves, but I decided that the Pembroke table style didn't have the width and depth of the chest that exists here, with Pembrokes only having one drawer and perhaps a false drawer front on the other end.  I then decided it was a work table

Right, thats how light stands are described today, work table or work stand. Pembroke/breakfast tables would have room for you legs, knees underneath where most stands do not. Another thing to keep in mind, although 4 leg stands came into being because of oil lamps, they were used for other things as well plus could be "tricked out" however the lady of the house wanted it because furniture was hand built and so each piece was unique. Mama really did get it her way back in the day, furniture wise.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:11:14 am by jacon4 »