Author Topic: Got another cool one to share.  (Read 2186 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Got another cool one to share.
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:53:22 pm »
    This is a Bayonett marked d'armes de Saint-Étienne 1879.  It is 25 1/2" in length and has several markings on it.  Anyone have any insight??  Think this could be my coolest item, scheduled for posting tomorrow.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
Re: Got another cool one to share.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:45 pm »
and 4 more pics, thanks you all

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 02:18:56 pm »
Looking at all the items you post,, I can`t believe some people give them to Goodwill !! Some of these things must be family items !!  Not saying that its bad to give them to any organization but I would want to keep family things !!  Guess its just not important to some folks !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 02:34:31 pm »
I believe this would be called the French Model 1874 "Gras" Sword Bayonet.

Here's some more information: http://www.arms2armor.com/Bayonets/fren1874.htm

(You do run across some neat items. We've never had a Goodwill store here until this week when one opened in a brand new building. I'll have to be sure to check it out.)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 03:18:23 pm »
A question for you Ironlord, for the most part, Goodwill no longer sells items like these in the brick and mortar stores, right? They just go straight to the online auction? I mean this as a good thing as it opens these things up to a broader marketplace, but I have pretty much switched from their stores to the Web site for that reason. I still go to Salvation Army, as the one near my work funds a rehab center and most of their staffers (and the person pricing the items) seem not to be clued into the value of some of the older items. It's about the last of its kind I think.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:22:43 pm by talesofthesevenseas »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 03:37:09 pm »
   Yes for the most part all the good stuff goes to the online dept.  Which actually depends on the goodwill, there are still goodwills that don't do online yet.  However the good stuff will depend on the sorter,  I have found a few really good items heading to the store, which I would grab up to post online still.  So there are still treasures in the store, that has passed by the experience eyes, but you have to be quick to snatch them, cause if it is good it will be gone in a hour.

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 04:58:50 pm »
My dad has one of these I researched for him awhile back. I wrote down in my notebook $75-$100 so that was about the price they were selling for.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 01:50:09 pm »
I picked up a pink depression glass sugar and creamer in a Goodwill store several weeks ago for 3.00. It was that triangular pattern but the name slips me right now. I hit every thrift store I can and give a lot to them also. In Florida my favorite was the hospice in Clearwater. I am back in New Jersey now but don't have a favorite yet.