Author Topic: miniature painted portrait? or painted over photo?  (Read 752 times)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
miniature painted portrait? or painted over photo?
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:13:32 pm »
Would love some help on figuring this one out, but I am sure how much I will actually be able to figure out.... bought a cheap little crappy box lot at an auction a while back, and while I was going through it throwing out the garbage I found this nice little brass frame with what I thought was a picture of someones grandma or something.

So I open it up to toss the pic when I notice it is signed PP

which then I, obviously, realized it wasn't a photo, but a tiny painting! about 3 3/8" x 2 5/8"

Im still trying to figure this thing out now, the back of it has a glossy finish to it, almost like that of a photo, but the thickness of it is much sturdier that any normal photo, so I can't really tell if it was a photo that was painted over or all hand done.

The face shows amazing detail for the size of the picture, which makes me think it is a photo, but after just examine it ever more thoroughly now and holding it up to the light, I am not sure.

Anyway, any insight or thoughts would be appreciated, especially if you can tell me who PP is. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:27:56 pm by pantrwrstl »