Author Topic: Antique Lincoln Cathedral Imp Door Knocker  (Read 1872 times)

mgilmour

• View Profile
Antique Lincoln Cathedral Imp Door Knocker
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:38:36 am »
Hi folks! I'm not very skilled in the subject of antiques and I'm wondering if you can help me out....I live in Ontario, Canada and just purchased my first house six months ago. It was built in 1926 and has had at least 4 previous owners. Anyways, on my door is a small door knocker with Lincoln Cathedral and it's signature imp. A quick searchhas turned up door knockers of just the imp or just the cathedral....not both. Having british roots I would really like to know more about this item. I'm sure its not worth much but I love it and would love to k ow more about it! I tookit off the door and can't find any markings or signatures. Any help would be appreciated immensely, thanks!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Antique Lincoln Cathedral Imp Door Knocker
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:17:10 am »
Thank you for introducing me to British Folklore that I previously knew nothing about. I just spent 30 minutes trying to look this guy up and was intrigued by the the story of these Imps being sent by Satan to the cathedral where they literally raised hell even tripping the Bishop of the Cathedral in Lincolnshire. I also learned that Pixies are the spirits of unbaptized children. Unfortunately I was not able to find that exact knocker either, but I really like it. I think it would unnerve me being on my front door just like my wife's Greek evil eye does peering at the door from the inside.

mgilmour

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:42:36 pm »

I'm glad that you found the story behind the Lincoln Cathedral Imp as intriguing as I did! Please explain to me this "evil eye" that you speak of. Sounds interesting!

I still have not found any additional information regarding the door knocker but I have emailed the Lincoln Cathedral online shop with my question and photo but still have not received a reply. Looking forward to hearing from them!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:22:33 pm »
Is the door knocker cast iron or brass ?? I have not found it anywhere !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:32 pm »
The Greeks have these glass eyes that they hang up facing a door to ward off evil or something. They also say if you spit three times at a person you will break the spell of their evil eye. I don't know, but if someone did that to me something would get broken. They also hang these around their necks

https://www.google.com/search?q=greek+evil+eye&hl=en&client=gmail&rls=gm&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ug1DT6yaAeTx0gHC7PyNCQ&ved=0CJABELAE&biw=1280&bih=709

http://www.faliraki-info.com/susie/superstitions/greek-traditions.htm