Author Topic: Vintage Silverplated Hand Hammered Ice Bucket  (Read 1221 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Silverplated Hand Hammered Ice Bucket
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:22:47 pm »
This is a Silverplated Hand Hammered Ice Bucket that I purchased today at the thrift store. I've been doing some research on it and once again I can't seem to find anything that is like it doing searches and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I'm guessing that it's probably from around the early 1900's but of course I could be way off.

What I do know is it's Silverplated on Brass. It seems to have been Hand Hammered all the way around or even (maybe) roll pressed all the way around and engraved or impressed with a grape vine and grapes pattern then put together and Silverplated (my best guess). Perhaps it's English, not sure. There are no Maker Marks on this Ice Bucket. I took off the Black Felt bottom and there wasn't anything there either.

The Ice Bucket weighs about 3 1/2 Pounds and is about 8 1/4 Inches Tall, 8 Inches Wide on the top rim, and 7 Inches Wide on the bottom rim. There was some oxidation and/or tarnish under the bottom edge and when I wiped it off it showed bright brass under it.

What I would like to know is who the Maker might have been, Where it might have been made, what time period it was made and perhaps the approximate value.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="738" height="909" border="0

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Vintage Silverplated Hand Hammered Ice Bucket
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:09:07 pm »
   That would be a stamped on image, and If I was to guess I would say made by Godinger and pretty new, appears to be the Tarnish resist silverplate that they use. and the motif.  Without marks, I would gamble on post 70's in age.  Late Victorian and Early century, It was a major pride thing to mark their pieces, but in most post 70's item you would of had foil or paper label.  This is all or course just a opinion, but this would be my thougts if I saw this on the shelf.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:33:10 pm »
Thanks for the information ironlord1963. Like I said, I could be way off on this one. These unmarked Silver Plated pieces I often have trouble gauging the who/what/when/where/how on them.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »
Agree with Ironlord about date/time period.

I wouldn't discount that it is for flowers and centerpieces and not necessarily an ice bucket.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!