Author Topic: Scrimshaw  (Read 1084 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Scrimshaw
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:14 am »
I have a vague memory of my parents buying this in the early 1970s after my mother attended a lecture on scrimshaw at the local library. The speaker told my mother about this piece that was for sale and he wanted to buy it, but didn't have the money to do so at the time, and commented that it would be a "good investment" as an embargo on whale products was soon to go into effect. My parents seized the opportunity and I think they paid a few hundred dollars, which in today's money would probably be about $1200. A few years ago, I took this carved whale's tooth to a whaling museum in New England hoping to get an appraisal. The curator told me that it was an authentic piece although probably not worth as much as one that would be signed or have a more nautical theme. He also added that professional discretion prevented him from assigning a monetary value to it, but if I ever decided to donate it to the museum, he would be happy to accept it. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:35:13 am by debodun »

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Scrimshaw
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:03 pm »
What an interesting subject matter. Have you looked for the maker in the "Dictionary of Scrimshaw Artists"? Authentic pieces seem to only go up in value.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Scrimshaw
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:58:33 pm »
Does it even say who did the work ??