Poll

Does anyone know what this bone/ivory item is ?

is it very old
0 (0%)
is it worth anything
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: February 28, 2012, 09:45:40 am

Author Topic: Does anyone know what this bone/ivory item is ?  (Read 2078 times)

hugoboss1

• View Profile
Does anyone know what this bone/ivory item is ?
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:45:40 am »
Hi,

Doea anyone know what this bone/ivory cluster of heads could be. I inherited it over 20 years ago along with a bundle of items from my grandmother but forgot about it. It has different heads to both sides and 2 holes in the centre as if it may be a pendant or something ? Sadly it has some damage to the side. Is is worth anything. Any help appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know what this bone/ivory item is ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:22:55 am »
You didn`t say what size the items is,, but I think its a button !!  Many small items from ivory or bone were brought/sent here during WWII !!  I have an ivory carved necklace that a cousin sent his mother before his plane was shot down over the Pacific !! Tiny pieces but intricately carved !!  But if it were a necklace it normally would have one hole !!  Buttons have two holes !!

hugoboss1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:41 am »
The item is 2 inches long x 1.5 wide and 1 inch thick so much too large and heavy for a button. It also has a hole at the top and bottom like some sort of pendant. I was interested in its history as I am clueless how my nan aquired it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:57:25 am »
Well,, too big for a button !!  Where it possibly came from is its history !!  Pieces similar to this would be quite common during that time period !!  Possibly could be older but can`t tell from pics !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:15:05 am »
I would say this is a netsuke  - originally Kimonos were made without pockets , so small personal items would have to be carried in a bag or small box that would be attached by strings  to the obi (belt or sash) that fastened to the kimono. The string would be passed through two holes in the netsuke,which acted as a toggle to stop the bag or box slipping off the obi. most netsukes are made from wood & ivory but some are made from silver, tortoiseshell, pottery and stone.  Check it carefully for an artists signature  and could you post very clear up close photos so we can see the degree of detail  all has to do with price & SOME can range over $8,000.00 .
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:21:36 am by wendy177 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:05:51 pm »
Ahhhh !!  Wendy !! Didn`t even think about that !!!  Were they that thick ??  She said 1" thick ??? The few I have seen were maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:01:53 pm »
Agree with Wendy & Mart from the description COULD BE a netsuke/fastener on this one (I don't see any picture)...But know that it helped hold the pouch.  Best example is here...

"In this image, a man wears an inro supported by a netsuke passed through the ties of his hakama"

HOWEVER, with this description and depending on how the heads are facing (if facing the holes would fit the netsuke description) or if facing in the opposite direction....a pendant OR decorative hanging item for the home/person/temple.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:30:29 pm »
Wendy is the winner on this one !! I thought it was much smaller originally,, like a button !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:39:28 am »
Yes mart a netsuke could be much thicker than 1" depending on the design , all are not round or oval and  some are longer than 2". say a fish design may be 3/8 inches thick at the tail and 1 1/2 inches thick at the head.  So depending on the artist and the design they come in a wide range of sizes.  :)  This is a nice site to see the diffrent shapes & sizes

http://netsuke.com/netsuke/index.html