Author Topic: Old Copper Plate  (Read 1470 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Old Copper Plate
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:26:43 pm »
Here's another recent purchase of an old copper plate I'm trying to find some more information on. I've found some copper plates but nothing like this one. I'm trying to find out the time period, where it was made and where the origin of the designs (or what they are) for this plate.

The plate is made of copper and probably tin or maybe lead or both. It looks to be made in 2 parts, the base and outer saucer area. The plate is about 8 3/4 Inches Wide and about 1 Inch tall when sitting on its base and it weighs about 1 pound.

On the back of the plate there is a hanger that was attached which looks like it was attached at a later date. There also appears to be some notches in areas of the bottom rim.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="705" height="1225" border="0

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Old Copper Plate
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »
   Nice Copper plate for sure, from the looks of it for me it is for sure Victorian at least in age, not modern knock off, Handwrought, and appears soldier base.  Without marking I would say most likely made by local blacksmith so would be hard to track a maker down, just the not perfect look make it for sure appears as local craftmans, and not in a Early Factory setting setting of the 1800's.  This is all just a guess, without touching and feeling the vibe  :o from the item, I can personnally offer little more then a bunch of IMO's

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »
Is that a hanger on the back of it? If it was designed to hang up it may be from the middle east or somewhere like that but that is a wild guess. Turkey used to make a lot of crude copper items for import and the tourist trade. What is that plant? It looks like an artichoke or a pineapple.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:56:15 pm by frogpatch »

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 05:14:27 pm »
Thanks for the information ironlord1963. I think it's from around the mid to early 1800's (perhaps a little earlier) and that it was probably made by a blacksmith sounds right. I also think it has some legacy (untold history / family heirloom, etc..) to it since I think (just a guess) that at a much later time someone put a hook on it to display on a wall.

Thanks frogpatch, I think it could be images of something they ate during that period, one of the images may even be a crudely drawn family shield.

Going to be tough to figure out the exact details about this plate.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:28:40 pm »
It is nothing that I have ever seen before. That's for sure.