Author Topic: Vintage Hand Painted Southwest Indian Pot/Vase?  (Read 1215 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Vintage Hand Painted Southwest Indian Pot/Vase?
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:56:17 pm »
OK, here's what I think is a Southwest Indian Pot/Vase I purchased at the thrift store a couple of days ago for $4.00 and I'm having some trouble locating information on. I think it may be from the 1950's but I could be way off in any direction, I really don't know but it feels 50's to me. It may not even be Southwest.

The pot seems to be hand coiled and the paint doesn't seem to be factory made or to be of a variety you see on some of the newer pots. The pot is about 10 Inches Tall, 8 Inches Wide towards the center, the bottom rim is about 4 Inches Wide and the top rim is almost 2 Inches Wide. It weighs a little more than 2 1/2 Pounds.

Also, there is some writing on the bottom center that I can't make out, it looks like the first letter *might* be a "W" and the second *might* be an "E" or "L", the other few letters I can't see enough of to venture a guess. There is some paint loss and some scratches on the pot. It seems to be made out of a grayish colored clay and the outside seems to have been painted with a light brown color before the other colors were painted over it.

What I would like to know if anyone recognizes the style of this pot, where it was made, who made it, the time period and if possible perhaps a possible value.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="709" height="1922" border="0

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Hand Painted Southwest Indian Pot/Vase?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:23:40 am »
I am guessing later than 50`s !! Paint looks like acrylic craft paint !! I can probably tell you the colors used if you want to know !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:12:15 pm »
Thanks mart! You might be right about it being later than 50's, it might be 60's but I don't think it's later than that. Never heard of acrylic craft paint, but I'll trust you on that one. No need to know the colors used. :)

It's probably a tourist piece made somewhere in Mexico in the 1960's...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:40:55 pm »
I would guess New Mexico !!