Author Topic: Cast iron pot belly stove  (Read 2532 times)

abarnes

Cast iron pot belly stove
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:23:36 pm »
We removed this from what use to be an old girl scout camp in Austinburg, OH and the building it was in was gone and it has been exposed to the outdoors for who knows how long. It is four pieces and very heavy - even the stack is cast iron. Interested in the history because we have never seen another like this and can't find any markings on it.

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Cast iron pot belly stove
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »
Your stove looks like it could have been an early "train depot stove" originally. Like everything else the railroads used, their heating stoves were designed to last a lifetime.
http://fluxfind.com/item/railroad-memorabilia/1800-s-illinois-central-railro/lid=7757028

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:29:11 pm »
Good call Rauville! I bet a lot of girl scouts have happy memories of telling stories around that stove in addition to its early history.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:46:54 pm »
What a find!  Nice large piece!!!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

abarnes

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:12:59 pm »
I had someone tell me it is the inside of a cased heater from the 1920's - 1950's?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:14 pm »
What kind of a cased heater are you talking about ??  It doesn`t appear to be the inside of anything !! It  looks like it was intended to be used as you see it !! It does look like it was meant to heat large areas !!  It was a utilitarian piece rather than a decorative one !!  Train depot would be logical !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:53:10 am »
I had someone tell me it is the inside of a cased heater

It could be the per say "heating unit" from a small coal-fired furnace.

It would have sat in the basement of a house/building with a tin/sheet metal casing around it with the "hot air" duct rising from the top of the casing and branching to 2 or more rooms.

These worked on the principle of "hot air rising" and were the forerunners of the modern "forced air" furnaces.

I had a friend who removed a LARGE one from his father-in-law’s house and re-assembled it in his basement next to his forced-air fuel oil furnace, connected it to the heating duct ….. and 1 stoking of wood would keep his home warm for 2 days. No more fuel oil bills. HA, he went "green" 30+ years ago.

abarnes

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:14 am »
He didn't say what kind of cased heater.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 11:11:19 am »
Possible Cogar !! Remember I am in Texas,, no coal fired heat here !!!  Just good old wood !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:05:12 pm »
Mart, in earlier days, before fuel oil and propane, the north east quadrant of the US burned either wood or coal for both a heating/cooking source. Rural households mostly burned wood and urban households, businesses, etc. burned coal. The urban structures were built with a "coal shute" to the basement for easy delivery.

I grew up in a small town in WV and it was a "trip" outside to the coalpile with the coal bucket for stoking the primary heating stove. The cookstove, water heater and a couple small heating stoves burned natural gas. The lucky rural dwellers in WV burned 100% "free" NG. My grandfather's farm had an old "derrick" drilled gas well on it and every room and building on that property had a small NG heating stove in it. 

The Town I grew up in had all the amenities not often enjoyed every where ….. because it was founded in 1905 by the President of the Coal & Coke RR and was surveyed out and per say built by his Railroad Engineers, including all streets, lots etc., including natural gas, sewage and water lines with fire hydrants, plus a water pumping station and reservoir. The Pres even had houses built which were then auctioned off to the highest bidder. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 04:54:56 pm »
cogar that is so true!  Thanks for the glimpse!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »
Cogar,

You jogged my memory!  Yes, it looks exactly like one we had in the basement of a house in Illinois.  The place used to use coal -- had the old coal chute running from a ground-level window down to the floor of the basement and everything.  I remember thinking it looked like a space alien, with all the aluminum ductwork overhead.