Author Topic: Large Figurine - Who Is It and When?  (Read 2612 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Large Figurine - Who Is It and When?
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:14:35 pm »
This is another recent purchase I can't seem to locate in searches. It's a large resin figurine I think (it tings like ceramic) and is about 12 Inches Tall, 8 Inches Wide at it's wides point (extended hand) and about 5 Inches wide on the base. It weighs about 3 1/2 pounds. On the base there is writing that says "Jart" and under it it says "Mexico". There is no writing on the bottom under it. I have no idea how old this is, perhaps 70's?

What I would like to know is if anyone knows anything about the artist "Jart" and who the figurine is supposed to be and in what time period would the figure be representing?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="705" height="2313" border="0

mart

• View Profile
Re: Large Figurine - Who Is It and When?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:10 am »
Need to see that bottom Kev !!  Is the Jart like one word or J art ?? 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »
I think that would be an Aztec warrior, possibly Montezuma, who is sometimes pictured like this. I don't know much about Aztec history, so someone else may want to comment.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »
That's a bingo , talesof ; it's ole' Monty alright !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:18:20 pm »
Thanks talesofthesevensea! I think you may be onto who it is. I definitely think it's an Aztec now. Although, I'm not sure if it's an Aztec Eagle Warrior or one of the Rulers such as Montezuma, Montezuma II or one of the others from around the 1400's to early 1500's.

mart, I'm including an image of "Jart" "Mexico" marking (It is spelled "Jart" and hard to make out) and an image of the bottom and other close up pictures to try and help identify the details about this figurine. It is a little dirty but does have a lot of fine details in it (Notice the Eagle head (I think it's and Eagle head?) towards the bottom of the shield). I still think it's ceramic and not made of resin.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="709" height="1258" border="0

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:35:44 pm »
Heat up a pin with a lighter or other flame and poke it into an inconspicuous place. If it is resin it will burn, ceramic won't.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:32:08 am »
For the tourist trade, no doubt -- it's a very Westernized face. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:48:42 pm »
OK Kev, I am going to give a guess on this one after looking around a bit on ebay !!  I think the JART is more of an import stamp and not a makers mark !! There are many on ebay similar to youurs that are made in Jalisco ( a state in Mexico) from the town of Tonala !! I think that the JART may indicate the state, what the object is made of (acrylic resin) and the town, and last would be the country Mexico !! So !!,,,JART !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »
Thanks everyone for the information! frogpatch that was a good tip, it made sense! It failed the ceramic test. CuriousCollector, I agree with you about it being a tourist piece and it definitely has a western face. I wonder why they gave it a western face? mart, Tonala Jalisco Mexico I think would make it definitely a tourist piece. Jalsicso "Art" may = "Jart"  Mexico, this seems to add up. Also, I guess acrylic resin may give it the feel and the ceramic sound of a ceramic piece.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:38:52 pm »
What I think gives it that ceramic feel is that many of the acrylic resin figures were mixed with ground up cow bone !!  Have you noticed that most all are about the same color with the addition of only a little stain to age it ??

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:02:17 pm »
mart, that's interesting about them being mixed with ground up cow bone! The colors are very close and I'm certain it was stained to give it an aged look.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 05:46:50 pm »
Look at similar ones on ebay !! They have it in their title and description that ground cow bone is mixed with it !!