Author Topic: small pressed glass piece with birds  (Read 2306 times)

debodun

• View Profile
small pressed glass piece with birds
« on: March 03, 2012, 02:07:41 pm »
This little piece of pressed glass is 4.5" tall and has a bird on top if the lid and three birds around the bottom of the bowl. The lid is toothed and fits into the bowl. I wonder what it was used for and what the pattern name is?

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: small pressed glass piece with birds
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:30:10 pm »
Sorry but I do not want you to go without an answer. I can't tell much from your picture. It looks like a modern piece from the picture but I know that clear glass is very hard to photograph. When I sold on Ebay I used to use a black cloth backdrop and 500 watts of diffused halogen to photograph with fast film and it was still unclear at times. To me the glass looks thick and the pressed pattern looks lacking in definition. Old pressed glass had many characteristics. Most pattern glass was utilitarian and was not crystal clear but had a sharp definition of the pattern. Sandwich and other flint glass was very clear and even today looks like it could be new. One tap on most pieces, but not all, produces a bell like ring. Cut glass imitators made pressed glass to look like cut glass with the clarity and feel but lacking in the sharp feel of the cutting. Some were pressed and then cut. Crystal producers all over the world have been pressing, etching and cutting for hundreds of years and still do today. It was only a couple of weeks ago that my wife bought a compote from a thrift store that I would have sworn was American pressed glass except  for and foil label from the 50's that said Germany. It is an area that is hard to give an opinion on without a hands on inspection. I have been doing it for a long time and still need to  extensively research odd pieces.  Pressed pattern glass is easy if it is a pattern like thistle or tulip but classics like hob star or daisy and button, like your appears to be, are very hard to determine.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 05:20:32 am »
Are you sure that the lid matches the bottom and is same pattern ??  Where did you get this glassware ??  Can`t see the pattern well enough to tell much !!  But you might check out Hofbauer Byrdes crystal !! They used the three dimensional birds on their items !! Replacements .com might have the pattern name !!  However,, as with any glassware this could be a similar piece made by different company !! This too was common !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:22:51 am »
This was a piece in my mother's china cabinet, which I inherited. Thanks for the info on the appearance of older glass. I am still on a learning curve with things like glassware and china, and also photographing glass.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:46:03 am »
Nice call Mart it was done by Hofbauer Crystal . 
Hofbauer Crystal Co. of West Germany produced collectible lead crystal in the mid- to late 1900s.

Here is your piece debodun
http://pages.intrinsiccollectibles.com/7797/PictPage/3923771085.html

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:22 am »
The lid in your link Wendy fits the same as this one !! It looked a bit odd fitting in this pic !!  Nice site Wendy, I am going to look and see if they have a pattern name for my glass I have been looking for over two years !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:01:28 am »
Mart have you posted the glass you have been looking for over two years  here??!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »
Yes I posted it a couple of times I think !!  Its one of those diamond patterns that is so close yet slightly different types !!  Hard to pin down !! Not exactly like american pattern or diamond point !!  You know what I mean !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 04:52:18 pm »
Great job! I had a feeling it was German like the piece we found a few weeks ago but you guys really nailed it.