Author Topic: help identifying stoneware marks 1 jug, 1 crock  (Read 1993 times)

pantrwrstl

• View Profile
help identifying stoneware marks 1 jug, 1 crock
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:21:48 pm »
any help with id-ing these two marks?

This one is about a 1 gallon jug. It looks older than most I have seen, with very small spiderweb-ish cracking to the glaze i believe? Nothing that damages the structure of beauty of it, as it is in perfect condition. The only mark on the is on the bottom, with the raised logo that looks like an urn.

The second one is a larger 4 gallon crock with a nice blue apple looking swirl on it, again it is in great condition structurally, but the outside has a bit of flaking to it, some which you can see in the painted design.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: help identifying stoneware marks 1 jug, 1 crock
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »
Pfaltzgraff pottery used a Keystone mark like that on their early pieces of stoneware from the 1920s. That crock is a knockout piece. I do not recognize the design, but I am not an expert in that area. Someone here will recognize or find it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:08:14 pm »
Not my area either !!  But I saw a 2 gal. on icollector with same mark but all it said was late 19th century,, no maker given !!  And that little spiderweb cracking is called crazing and is an acceptable indicator of age with most people !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:53:08 pm »
It's possible that your 4 gallon crock with the "Lazy 8 over target" design could be either Minnesota Stoneware or Red Wing Stoneware. It's almost impossible to tell the difference between unmarked examples, since decorators went from plant to plant, where ever work was available at the time.