Author Topic: Identify Antique Silver Spoon  (Read 2413 times)

kristianl

• View Profile
Identify Antique Silver Spoon
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:03:30 pm »
Hi there,
My name's Kristian. I recently found a silver spoon that was given to me as a baby by my god parents and I'd really like to find out some info about it.

The note attached to it says "The hallmark dates it as a George II made in Edinburgh in 1784."
I'd like to find out if it is true and also any other info if possible.

Here are some photos of it: http://imgur.com/a/cotkS
(Too big to attach, wouldn't let me embed either. You can see the full size image by clicking the little action button in the top right corner of the photo)

Thanks so much for any help! It's really cool to find out that you own something quite possibly over 200 years old!

wilhenri

• View Profile
Re: Identify Antique Silver Spoon
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 03:14:57 am »
Hi there ref your spoon I would expect to see more than these two marks including the Edinburgh Castle for their Assay office have a look here http://www.925-1000.com/dlEdinburgh.html for what you should expect to see. There were lots of people making things from silver in these days and trying to get away with paying the tax so it could be as you say but without all the correct hallmarks tricky to say..
Live as if you are to die tomorrow and learn as if you are to live forever
Mahatma Gandhi

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 08:34:20 am »
Looks fine. Don't polish it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 03:01:26 pm »
I was thinking there are marks missing in order to properly identify this and give it provenance.

Also not sure what the figural mark is on this.  It isn't the Edinburgh Sterling mark.

The E, or date mark was used by many countries.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:18:56 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 07:50:11 am »
I was thinking there are marks missing in order to properly identify this and give it provenance.

Also not sure what the figural mark is on this.  It isn't the Edinburgh Sterling mark.

The E, or date mark was used by many countries.

Laws and taxes changed in 1784, particularly duty tax in December 1784 which helped make the mark of the current sovereign compulsory. Seen quite a few Georgian pieces without the " standard " amount of hallmarks on them. Also happens with fakes but this looks genuine.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:51:08 pm »
Totally agree with all you put Ipcress.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

wilhenri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:31 am »
Here are the standard Town marks for that era in the UK and a photo of something that has similarities which is Dutch but with a French mark for when Napoleon was being a pest. Any jeweller should be able to test its silver content for you its a simple acid test that takes seconds.
Live as if you are to die tomorrow and learn as if you are to live forever
Mahatma Gandhi

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 08:50:51 am »
wilhenri thank you for your informative post.