Author Topic: Pitcher and Wash Basin  (Read 1469 times)

lam.ljr

• View Profile
Pitcher and Wash Basin
« on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »
I recently received an antique wash basin and pitcher from my mom. We are trying to find out how old it is and where it comes from. She's had it for over 30 years after having purchased it from an auction in Virginia.

As best as I can see, there is a stamp on the bottom of the basin that looks like a horse or even a rocking horse. There is a red number stamped on both the basin and pitcher, which is "M78". The basin has an additional stamp on it that looks like "1817". Possibly the date it was made?

Thanks for any help! My mom and I would love to find out the history behind this piece.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Pitcher and Wash Basin
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:56:38 pm »
Everything about this set says modern !! Modern glaze and paint as well as style and pattern !!  I think the number on the bottom M78 is the year made (1978),, 1817 is likely the style number !!  Let me look a bit and see if I can find the pottery that made it !!

Matchbox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 11:53:40 pm »
The pattern and style looks very similar to many of the stonewear items we have sitting in our second home in PA.  If that is the case it could have been made in West Germany and the rocking horse would be a lion.   

lam.ljr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 07:23:30 am »
Mart: I spoke with my mom yesterday, who told me she received the set in 1972. I guess that rules out the date of "78".

Matchbox: While researching patterns yesterday, the closest ones were from West Germany. I'm going to look into it a bit more today. There's a chance that the "horse" is in fact, a lion. It's quite blurry and hard to make out. It almost looks like it was double stamped.

I'll let you know what comes of it! Thank you for your help.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 09:11:47 am »
If I was to walk by that on the shelf, For sure European in origin, and Mid century in style.  The styles for the Edwardian to Art Deco Periods was very different, This is the Mid - Century very popular look for the 40's to 60's.   This is also about the time the wash Basin began falling out of favor too, but still made.  After the 60's Pretty much the wash basin was gone, and the few made today are more decorative and again usually has the old Victorian to Deco period look, in other words I would say you could rule out Post 60's and style would not match Pre Mid Century.  Personally not sure about the horse mark, could just be a flaw on the stoneware or something it was sitting on in the kiln.   Something also to note when dating but again is just a rule, early Pottery usually has no glaze on the bottom, Victorian era usually is lacking Glaze on the bottom of the foot only.  This is because these pieces was made in a kiln and sat on a rack, more modern industrial ceramic, has the look of such on the bottom.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 09:22:28 am »
Found another 70`s piece with similar mark from German pottery, also had similar style number of 1814 but the site gave no maker !! Still looking !!