Author Topic: NIPON HAND PAINTED PORCELAIN  (Read 6488 times)

elainefruge

• View Profile
NIPON HAND PAINTED PORCELAIN
« on: September 16, 2004, 07:04:01 pm »
I HAVE A HAND PAINTED PORCELAIN FLUTED/THREE LEG VASE?? THAT BELONGED TO MY MOTHER-IN-LAW'S GRANDMOTHER. MY MOTHER-IN-LAW WAS BORN IN 1912 AND SAID SHE REMEMBERED HER GRANDMOTHER HAVING THE PIECE ON HER DRESSER WHEN SHE WAS A CHILD. IT IS A SKY BLUE AROUND THE TOP THREE OR SO INCHES AND WHITE ON THE BOTTOM. IT HAS THREE DAISY TYPE FLOWERS AROUND THE CENTER AND ALSO THREE ROSES SET IN A GOLD LINED DIAMOND SHAPE. THE VASE? IS ROUND AT THE TOP WITH FLUTED EDGES AND IT TAPERS TO A POINT IN THE BOTTOM WITH THREE LEGS.  THE MARKING ON THE BOTTOM IS ROUND WITH "NIPON HAND PAINTED PROCELAIN" AROUND THE OUTER EDGE, WITH SOME MARKINGS IN THE CENTER OF THE CIRCLE. PLEASE ADVISE AS TO AGE AND VALUE OF ITEM.

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 10:45:59 pm »
Whoa !!! got pics?  There's a very collectible interest in Nippon items - sounds like the very early stuff - if you can't get pics up, may I recommend this site:

www.gotheborg.com.  A HUGE site but sift thru and go to identification of Japan - check out Morimura and Nippon in general.  Nippon was the very old name for Japan, and usually, (with some exceptions) wasn't used after 1921. Sounds like a nice piece - without seeing it tho' - KB

ps:  post back if I can help you search -      and another good site:

www.kaleden.com       KB      

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 03:00:12 pm »
I got thinking it was not a vase, but a "hair receiver" - check out this link for the Imperial Nippon, and a cobra head - $95 and very nice

http://www.kaleden.com/search/images.jsp?id=140476

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 05:24:05 pm »
sorry I don't take pics by e-mail anymore, even with my virus protection -

I did run a more general MSN search for Imperial Nippon - and I found a vase with daisies, and another vase with roses and other flowers - your same mark - price on the larger vase about $295.  If I remember, it was about 11 inches high -  the era for Nippon markings spans from about 1890, and generally ends 1921, when they were told to use Japan, not Nippon, the old name for Japan.  The Gotheborg site and others say that almost all decorative pieces marked Nippon, or that have the Japanese symbol for Nippon, were meant for export to the US, and were made by Morimura, the precursor of the Noritake company.  

All quality items - and you've got great provenance - post to the site if you can - KB

kerrybee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 04:31:38 pm »
sorry, I answer questions only on web site, and with pics or descriptions as given.  I'm not an appraiser; I'm a web researcher who loves antiques, and I enjoy the process of searching for just the right item.

On the google search, I found a number of Imperial Nippon vases, and other Nippon (usually a precursor of  the Noritake marks).  We might never find your exact antique - so many beautiful things just didn't survive.

Based on web searches,  your vase would retail between $300 and $800.  The higher prices, and there were very few at $1,000 seem to be for the earliest Morimura, predecessor of Noritake.  

I hope you can take your vase for a hands-on appraisal.    KB