Author Topic: Another oriental items that I am unsure of  (Read 1821 times)

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
Another oriental items that I am unsure of
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:02:14 pm »
Got these two Jade pieces.... really nice work...  Not sure the worth, but my Chinese Client was begging me to sell them to him for 100.00 each, and he is cheap, which means they are worth much more, Please help with the description?

Thanks in advance 

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
Re: Another oriental items that I am unsure of
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:06:28 pm »
one more piece

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:30:12 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

adam82376

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:28:05 am »
Are you sure thats jade?

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 09:05:35 am »
I've seen a lot of these Jade pieces at auctions before ... I am sure its jade just not sure what the item cost is ? and really what they are ?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 11:01:36 am »
I think you will need to have someone who deals regularly in Asian art do a hands-on appraisal. This is looking like soapstone to me, but it very well could be the photos. There are so many reproductions that it really takes a knowledgable person to be able to assess age, craftsmanship and material in person.

In China there is a wonderful revival of appreciation of Chinese art. I believe a lot of people are rediscovering just how rich their heritage is. Chinese art can have layer upon layer of meanings and symbolism and it is wonderful to learn the stories and lore behind each piece. It is like a gift for those who take the time to study. The casual observer just thinks it looks cool.  ;D

I was talking to a local antiques dealer who said he recently had a client from China come into his shop and make a multi-thousand dollar offer on an item without hearing the price first. It was an item that had a US retail value of about $500. What it would sell for in the US may be very different than what it would sell for in China where it is better appreciated and the market is hotter for this type of item.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

ANTIQUERAIDERS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:45:32 am »
Had a guy come to the shop right now and offer me 150 for each.... I am still thinking could they be worth more? I am sure they are not soap stone as I have tons of items made of soap stone, but this guy is Chinese and he is usually very cheap, but this he didn't even bargain.

adam82376

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 12:39:51 pm »
150 hey if they're jade I am all over that...never seen jade that looks like that.Sorry but I can say without a doubt that the second piece is not jade just by looking at the piece looks like California Jade to me. Now the first piece I am not to sure of> I have done extensive research on Jade -  Jadeite/nephrite. Due to the fact I am selling an c.1900 table screen with White nephrite/jadeite in it. Jade will not be bumpy on the surface especially if it is carved more smooth. Your pieces are very rough and bumpy...So I would have to agree with TALESOFTHESEVENSEAS on the pieces Soapstone on the first but the second is looking like Serpentine California Jade. But hey if they are old enough they can still bring in a chunk of change....I would say 100.00 for the pair only in they are pre 1950 sounds about right and if the second one is Serpentine it would be 1950 or before because Serpentine has asbestos in it and about that time is when they found out it is hazardous to carve(could cause cancer and severe lungs issues if inhaled like abalone and other materials). Sorry not trying to be a jerk or put down your pieces but I REALLY DON'T THINK THOSE ARE JADE.