Author Topic: A Tribal Owl??  (Read 2157 times)

chonji

• View Profile
A Tribal Owl??
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:28:18 pm »
Hi guys, I have a nice beaker and Jug here, they seem a few years old like., the beaker / (vase if you like) has some crazing inside and out, the jug less so.

the interesting thing is the mark, minute i saw it i thought 'owl' . but now I am thinking this is like a native american mark.. like on a totem?? Or central american? Anyone any ideas? It seems a strange juxtaposition with the actual Wares themselves though.

Cheers ears.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:33:49 pm by chonji »

mart

• View Profile
Re: A Tribal Owl??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »
Where did you get these ?? I haven`t found anything so far but still looking !!

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:51:04 am »
Hey thanks for having a look, My Mum got them at a second hand store, what do you think the mark looks like? They are good quality, the sahoe of the jug is a lovely unusual style with the widened base, and the finish on the beaker is a nice striping effect, I would really love to fin out about this maker, Its a hell of a one to research though, I fancy selling them but also if I get teh maker then I might start a little collection as the work is great. - Well so far my collection surmises 2 pieces and may stay that way as havent found any others haha,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:09:55 am »
Since you said Mum, I assume you are in the UK ??  Makes it easier to search !! People dont usually think about adding the country they are in to the post !!  I have been looking for American potteries !!

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:16:43 am »
Yes am in Uk, but I appreciate looking for the american stuff as like I say, It has to me a mark that one could reference as Mayan or Aztec even. Of course that would not add up with the wares being as they are, but perhaps the Southern states or even Canada might go for a studio mark like this.
I dont know mate, its just a mystery, you would think that such a distinctive mark could be found, but it is so hard to search on. I think it is one of those (oft occuring) occasions where a stack of good refernce books may be better than the internet

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:42:39 am »
You are correct and I have looked here and in the UK !! However If this was an independent studio mark, rather than a factory type it might be a long search !!

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:00 pm »
yea think it is very much an independant , artist thing, its just a case of you either know or you dont with this i think. cheers

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:29:51 pm »
Only thing I found so far that uses an owl is a Dutch pottery And it was different from this one and was a stamp, not impressed !!  Still looking though !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »
http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/a-grey-glazed-pottery-bowl-with-impressed-owl-1-c-2c41201d8f

Found this also in the UK !! Couldn`t see what the owl on theirs looked like but it is from Millams Auction I think !!  It is listed who had in below the description !! I think it said there were several pieces !!  This was a 2011 listing but might be worth a call to them and ask if they know the pottery !!

chonji

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 01:08:30 pm »
Hey thanks so much for your help on this one, I will chase up on those leads and let you know if the answer is revealed, thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »
I will keep looking but that link is all I have found that even sounds similar to yours !!   Yes please let me know what pottery it is from if you find out !!