Author Topic: Crown piano - concert grand George Bent - mfg date and value  (Read 1978 times)

bwarrick

• View Profile
Crown piano - concert grand George Bent - mfg date and value
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:49:47 pm »
Please help me identify the age and value of my piano. Unfortunately I have to sell it when I move.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Crown piano - concert grand George Bent - mfg date and value
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:14:55 pm »
As wonderful as pianos are, they are extremely difficult to sell, or even to give away because they are so expensive to move. I bought an antique player piano that had electricity added to it and the bellows (drives the foot pumps) were still intact, in great shape for... a whopping five dollars on Ebay and then paid $500 to move it.

You should be able to locate a serial number inside the piano, then you can look that up online with the manufacturers name and know the age. Unfortunately, selling it will probably be very difficult.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:04:14 am »
Sadly where I live these are so plentiful (and heavy) that most often they are given away or close to it. Moving cost is part of the issue, lack of space another.  If I were you I would try to promote other potential uses for it such as conversion to a bar or the use of the beautiful woods. Wish I could sound more encouraging.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:38:15 am »
Ditto here !!  Sorry,, its beautiful but I have one and can`t give it away !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »
If you are unable to sell it and end up having to donate it Goodwill and other charitable organizations will usually take them because they have the means to haul them, and you can at least get a tax write-off.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:03 am »
Back when I was active in the buying, selling and restoring furniture, etc., I once bought an old piano at auction for $1.00, and of course everyone thought I had lost my mind, especially my antiquer friends.

But there was a reason for my madness. I purchased it specifically for disassembly and saved all the potentially usable parts. Just the screws, hinges, etc. that I used over the next 10+ years were probably worth $200+ retail value iffen there was even a place I could have found to purchase them. For authentic restorations one needs authentically old hardware to do it with.   

To make a repo or restore an item of “square-nail” vintage one best have a “stash” of different sizes of square nails before they even think about doing said project.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 05:08:12 am »
I came across this site which has some of the Crown catalogues. You may be able to identify yours there. They 'may' also take your info on the piano along with pictures in case there are potential buyers, but they no longer offer posting of pianos. Take a read through the About Us and Sell Your Piano to get a better idea of any help they could possibly offer.  

http://antiquepianoshop.com/online-museum/crown/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:33:06 am by sapphire »