Author Topic: Cast Iron Dutch boy & girl pairs  (Read 1613 times)

Janfish

• View Profile
Cast Iron Dutch boy & girl pairs
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:53:34 pm »
Can anybody tell me about these figurines?  They are solid, no markings.  I got them from my grandmother's stuff.  She was born in Minnesota around 1913 and lived her adult life in Northern Indiana.  I also have a red set and a black set.

Janfish

• View Profile
Re: Cast Iron Dutch boy & girl pairs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:55:11 pm »
Here are the other two sets.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:32:23 pm »
I would venture a guess that they might be from the 1920's - 30's era. Hubley was one manufacturer that produced several different Dutch themed cast iron figures, banks, etc. I'll try to do some looking.

Janfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 07:38:28 pm »
Thank you, I'm definitely relying on others with more knowledge.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:45:19 pm »
What are the dimensions of them?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Janfish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »
They are about 2 in. tall.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:25 am »
I have noted that these have been called paperweights over the years but believe that they are decorative figurines.  The craze came in for these cute Dutch boy/girl figurines and was touted as being brought to fame after the popularity of "Hans Brinker". 

Glass and porcelain figurines are more abundant but the cast iron are in supply as well.  Pieces that are 7 - 9" made of cast iron are more commonly seen as bookends and doorstops.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Janfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »
Does anybody have an idea what they are worth?  I can't seem to find anything like them to compare them with.  I know Hubley figurines can go for a more than some others.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 10:35:52 pm »
Here's the only ones I have found...but note that this is a store....and I don't believe that they will get this price for them.  http://www.icollect247.com/itempage.php?uniqueid=45034  http://www.icollect247.com/itempage.php?uniqueid=45033  http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9212235  Also if you get ahold of a Hubley book...you might want to look under party favor cast iron figurines.

More likely price for individual sale of a set $ 8 - $ 10  and store sale of a set $ 18*

*  If you discover that they are by Hubley or another manufacturer they will value higher!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:44:36 pm by KC »