Author Topic: 10 Hummels-TMK 3&4- Opinions needed!  (Read 1297 times)

kathyp1039

• View Profile
10 Hummels-TMK 3&4- Opinions needed!
« on: April 05, 2012, 08:08:23 am »
Hi everyone. For some odd reason i've turned into a picker! I've been buying things for the sole purpose of reselling. My husband thinks i've lost my marbles, but aside from that wanted to see if you think I made decent purchases so far. I don't have them yet so don't have pictures but here is what i'm getting. The first set i'm worried about-not sure what years they are but paid $80 at an online auction for all 6 of these....

1.Street Singer
2.Begging His Share
3.Be Patient
4.Lost Stocking
5.School Girl
6.The Builder

And the second set look and were described as immaculate in the pictures-and these are all TMK 3&4 and paid $200 for all 10

1.Stormy Weather
2.Goose Girl
3. Blessed Event
4.Smart Little Sister
5.Playmates
6.Friends
7.Merry Wanderer
8.Doll Bath
9.Coquettes
10.Chick Girl

So all in all-do you think I did well or am I going to have trouble selling them? I know without pictures and not knowing how old the first set is it will be hard to help but any and all advice will be appreciated! I really am dumbfounded about Hummels except for what I read and am trying to learn more about them.Thanks again

Chris_Marshall

Re: 10 Hummels-TMK 3&4- Opinions needed!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:53 am »
Hummels are a very special case - they have long passed their status of being "collectible", ergo the prices have turned foul.

Example: "Smart Little Sister TM4" is often offered for around US$ 310, the same edition is offered on eBay for around US$ 160 ... but the truth is that they hardly sell for US$ 30 - US$40.

Goebel was shooed into the doghouse for actually admitting that they wanted to manufacture in China and then only decorate the figures in their factory. At the same time, former club members were found to have been involved in dubious proceedings regarding "unmarked Hummels" (which de facto do not exist). That was followed by Goebel filing for insolvency and then going bankrupt in 2006; subsequently the Hummel rights were sold to the Porzellanfabrik Rödental (which is by now also struggling for survival). Since 2007, many former collectors have been dumping their collections. Some stores and online venues try to keep up the old prices, but real "street value" (found in closed auctions or closed sales) is *far* from what was once paid for these figures.

Hence buying Hummels for resale is a very tricky matter. I just hope you can get a little profit out of your purchases.

kathyp1039

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 10:54:46 am »
Ewwwww-not good. I know one thing for sure I saw hundreds of ads that said $25 and assumed they meant a piece and it was just a line of bull to pull you into what they really wanted which was $900 for 4 or 5 of them, so I guess from here on out it will be left to luck!Just like with anything I sell pray for 2 bidders to duke it out :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:04:21 pm »
Only way I would buy Hummel is if dirt cheap !!  They are still on a downhill slide !!  But I will keep my fingers crossed for you !!